Chapter 23

The next day, Grey took me on another date to the movies.

I frantically searched for another cute outfit. I shook out my hair and fluffed it slightly to look good. My waves had seen better days, but Day 3 hair was never good for me. I checked my outfit out several times in the mirror and changed it countless more times. Finally, I was slightly satisfied with the look I pulled off.

I ran downstairs and sat in the kitchen. Scrolling through her phone, my mom looked up at me and smirked. "You look cute. What time is the movie?"

"At five," I signed. "We're gonna get there a bit early."

"Gotta catch all those previews," she said.

"Exactly."

I sat down across from her. "What have you been up to this week?"

"Work," she said. "The same ole, same ole. This mundane life is what you get to look forward to." She shook her head. "It ain't all fun and games, kid. Enjoy your youth now."

"I do," I signed. "I'm not in a rush to grow up." Even though I felt like I aged years after witnessing my dad's death, I wouldn't bring that up for no reason.

"Mhm." She looked at her phone again, scrolling mindlessly before looking up at me again. "So, are you and this boy serious about each other?"

"I think so," I signed.

"Think so?" she questioned.

"I haven't let my guard down."

"Why would your guard be up?"

Oh, crap. I didn't tell my mom about any of the drama going on, nor did I plan to. If she knew Grey was part of my life, making me miserable, she would disapprove of him. He'd automatically be someone she'd think didn't deserve to be anywhere near me. It was a little more complicated than how she'd see it.

"I'm not going to just go into a relationship and automatically trust him," I signed. "Shouldn't we be earning each other's trust?"

She held my eyes for too long of a moment. "You better not be letting some little heartbreaker gain access to your heart."

I laughed. "No, Grey's not like that."

"Good," she said firmly. "I will not tolerate boys who think it's okay to mess with girls' feelings. Boys are stupid, anyway."

My phone buzzed, and I pulled it out of my pocket to see a message from Grey letting me know he was outside. I stood and kissed my mom goodbye.

"Love you, baby, see you later. Be careful!"

"I will," I signed. "I love you, too."

I kissed Timmy's head before running out of the house. Grey sat inside the car. I pulled on the handle and sat in the passenger seat.

"Hey," he said happily.

"Hi," I signed.

"Buckle up."

We drove in comfortable silence, listening to music on the radio. I would glance at Grey and catch him doing the same thing several times. We smiled at each other before looking back at the road.

He didn't make me feel bad that I couldn't talk. The quiet didn't seem to bother him at all. That was something that crossed my mind several times. Would he care that I couldn't say anything? But, so0 far, it didn't seem like he minded it.

We pulled into the movie theater parking lot. It was crowded. Grey lowered the music as he scoured around for any empty spaces.

"Look at this moron," Grey said with a sigh. "Taking up two parking spaces. This is why people should take an IQ test before driving." I laughed. He finally pulled into a spot, and we exited the car. He met me behind the car with his hand already extended. I took it happily, and we walked toward the movie theater.