Chapter 20: Of Dreams And Home

Start from the beginning

   Eagerly, his head turned frantically from left to right, and then again, from right to left. He had heard her, he was sure about that. His eyes scrutinized the trees, the small branches. But he was still alone.

   "Ben." he heard again. And this time, the voice did not belong to Rey, but to a man.

   Ben knew that voice, too. And he knew exactly what to expect when he turned his head around, followed by his body.

    It was the force-ghost of his grandfather, Anakin Skywalker. His face radiated with love and contentment as he looked upon his grandson with a smile.

   And Ben wondered; why could he see a force ghost? Was he dead? And if he was, why did he hear Rey's voice? Was she dead too? He didn't even get to truly confess to her...

   But his grandfather seemed to be looking at him as if he had won a prize. Ben instead did not know what to feel. Should he feel ashamed of what he had done in his life? Should he be happy? And if yes, then why? What had he done so significantly?

   Then, another two Force-ghosts appeared on each side of Anakin. His mother and his uncle. And next to her, the memory of his father.

   "Mom?" and he made a pause, before asking again, with even more wonder. "Dad?" his voice quivered. "What is happening?"

   She smiled at him. Her dark brown eyes bore a love so deep, it shook the heart within him.

   "You did great, my child." She said. "The balance is now restored due to you and to your other half in the force."

   And he knew she was reffering to Rey. As if guided, his eyes snapped right to her.

   She was standing next to Leia, yet her body was neither bluish, not was it glimmering in the sunlight. She was solid and beautiful as he had always remembered her. And she wasn't alone; to her right side, there was a child. A girl around five years.
   She had his unruly, wavy, raven hair and his dark eyes.

   His kid.

   And then he understood; it was a dream from the future.

   Ben's eyes stung with tears as they rested for moments that seemed an eternity on the two of them. Rey and that little child, his family. His home.

   "Mom... Dad... I'm home. And I'm never leaving again." his voice quivered. "Kylo Ren is not anymore, and has never existed." his voice faltered. I love you, he wanted to say. Yet he knew it would shatter him if he spoke. He was home. After all those years of wandering, he was finally home.

   His mother... He had been waiting for this moment for so long, it was a burning desire in his heart that couldn't be extinguished.

   "My son..." Leia's eyes brimmed with tears as she spoke, too stunned to move. The emotion was drawn tight between them, threatening to break Ben's soul apart.

    His lower lip quivered, and he broke into a stream of silent tears and sobs. Then, another presence drew his attention. Rey, as walked toward him with confidence, and once close enough, she reached out, cupped his cheek. Her eyes searched his as she whispered his name.

   "Ben..." and another stream of tears welled, streaking his cheeks. Her fingers reached out and traced his features; his brows, his jaw, his lips. Then her palm went down and remained on his shoulder. She placed her head on his chest and he wrapped an arm around her, closing his eyes.

   He held her close and nuzzled her hair and forehead in return. Fresh tears of hers now wet his tunic, and he could feel her deep inhales against his chest. Raw emotion, anticipation...