Chapter 4: Feel The Force

*This chapter is dedicated to @stitch4321, @HeyloReylo and brhr14, for their support! And, I know it's looong, way too long, but you'll like it, you'll see:)) *

~*~
"I still can't!" Rey complained, her voice thick, filled with despair.

It was the hundredth time she tried to lift the bloody rock before her in the air as she sat cross-legged on the hard ground, but to no avail. Now tears threatened to sting her eyes, and she was on the point of giving up.

Her outstretched hand was trembling, her fingers splayed as if trying to grab hold of an invisible rope.

Three weeks have passed since they have arrived at the old huts of the Jedi, hidden in the deep forested mountains of Takodana.

...And no sign of the Force.

Neither her, nor Ben had been able to feel it since Exegol, on the night they defeated the cruel Emperor. And then, they have been too happy or relieved that they were finally free...and together. Neither of them had paid any mind to this aspect, until Rey had arrived to the Resistance Base.

Exasperated, she grabbed the rock and flung it in a bush over the padded patch of ground they sat on, letting out a growl. The warmth of the sun and the exhaustion made her sweat.

But as soon as tears burst out, a calming presence took over her.

"It's alright." Ben said as he came face to face with her, sitting down cross-legged so their knees touched.

Her eyes were fallen to her hands that were fiddling with the cloth of her tunic in her lap, but his, his eyes never left her face.

"Come on, let's do it together." he said with a reassuring smile on his face. He knew that the worst thing he could say now, was "Take a break."

She sniffed another tear and rubbed her eyes, and looked at him, as if not believing this would work at all.

"Trust me." he said, both his hands outstretched, ready to envelop hers. "Alone, I couldn't do it either. I'll help you, as you have done with me. And you'll help me again."

Rey nodded. And when she placed her small hands in his, palms up to the sky, the humming that would once pass between them, the force that would chant around them, was missing. But a tiny spark still remained.

This will not work, she thought stubbornly. But as if he would have read her mind, he gave her hands a little squeeze.

"We'll do it together. Right? Has it ever turned out to be wrong when we cooperated?"

And she managed a meek shake of head.

"Good. Just tell me when you're ready." he told her gently as his thumb stroked her palm.

"I think I am." She said after a deep
breath.

"Well then, close your eyes." he said as he did so.

It was something strange to Rey. Normally, it would have been her who tried to calm him down, not the other way around. The way she reacted made her feel scared. What if it was a temptation to the dark side?

"You're special, Rey." She heard Ben's calm voice. And instinctively, she opened her eyes, only to find him meditating calmly. It was so strange to hear those words from his lips. "You have both light and dark in you, yet you never yield to the latter. I know you never will."

She closed her eyes as she listened to his words with patience. "And you do have both sides in you too. There's... A different kind of force." She frowned. She felt something she could bot quite understand. And neither did he.