Chapter 23

Icelyn

"Are you still in bed?"

I rolled my eyes as I heard Jen come into my room. I threw the sheets over my head to block the light as she opened the curtains.

"Yes, I am still in bed. If you remember correctly, I had a long night."

I wasn't sure when I had finally retired to my room last night, but yesterday had been a trying day, so I fully intended to stay in bed all day.

I was also confident that my mate was bipolar. One minute he told me that I could never be more than just his plaything, and then the next minute, he was going all feral and professing to all that I was his one and only. My head hurt just thinking about everything that had happened.

In reality, I guessed I understood where he was coming from. Announcing to everyone in Gregorian that the biggest, scariest fae in all the land had a true mate and, therefore, a weak spot had to cause him severe anxiety, but I wasn't a timid flower. I think I proved that to him last night. I could take care of myself, so if anyone tried to use me to get to him, they would undoubtedly have their hands full.

"Get up! Kohl wants you to join him in the main hall." Jen tugged at my covers, and I sat up instantly in curiosity.

He had never called me to the main hall before. What exactly did he want? I stretch and grab my training uniform on the way to the changing screen, only to have it ripped from my hands by Jen.

"Kohl sent you this to wear." Jen handed me a midnight black dress that sparkled like the Night Realm sky I had come to love. I marveled at it momentarily, running my hands over the shimmery material.

"Why does he want me to wear something so fine?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Jen rolled her eyes and bowed to me. "After he professed in front of all that you were his true mate...I knew it, by the way... Now he intends on making it official."

My heart skidded to a halt as she helped me put the dress on and quickly pulled my hair into a beautiful updo, leaving a few curls down to brush my collarbone. This was really happening! I knew he was telling me the truth last night, but I hadn't expected it to happen this soon.

"Don't be nervous. Isn't this what you royals train for your entire life?" Jen asked me, and she was right, but this was different.

This wasn't just an obligation. I cared for the creatures in this Realm and cared even more so for their King, and with that came a great responsibility not to let any of them down. I slipped on my heels, and Jen ushered me through the door.

"I will take it from here, Jen." Athen motioned for Jen to leave, and she rushed off as Athen, and I continued down the hall.

Athen cleared her throat nervously to get my attention. "I wanted to thank you for what you did last night. You were very brave."

I stopped walking. Never had Athen said anything nice to me.

"Our Realm is honored to have a queen with your courage, and from now on, you can count on me for anything. At first, I thought you would be a weakness to him and our entire Realm, but after last night, I saw that I was wrong. I pledge my life to protect you, just as I have done our King." Athen bowed low, and I stared at her in disbelief.

"Thank you," I finally managed to say, and Athen motioned for us to continue walking.

"Chin up. Today is a critical day for the Night Realm. We have not had a queen for centuries. Make us all proud."

"Thanks for adding on the pressure." I smiled at her, and for once, she smiled back. She was quite pretty when she was not being so sour.

"You will do fine." Athen motioned for the fae ahead of us to open the double doors.

I inhaled deeply as we walked inside. The room was filled wall to wall with every kind of fae in the Night Realm. I tried hard not to show nervousness but bit my lower lip anyway.

Kohl appeared next to me and leaned down to whisper in my ear so no one else could hear his words. "Don't bite that lip too hard; that's my job."

My cheeks inflamed as I glanced around the room to ensure no one heard his crude remark. I smiled up at him as he offered me his arm. He knew just what to say to take away my anxiety.

Kohl marched me onto a raised platform and motioned me to the edge as he sat upon his black onyx thrown. I watched him as he leaned back lazily like he didn't have a care in the world, a typical Night Realm king mood.

"Becoming queen of the Night Realm takes great responsibility, courage, and self-sacrifice. Do you believe Icelyn, princess of the Winter Realm, processes these qualities?"

I held my breath as the entire room erupted in hoots, hollers, and hisses of approval.

"If the court is pleased, I present to you, Icelyn, Queen of the Night Realm!" Kohl waved his arm, and I felt a crown materialize on my head. I reached up and touched to cool metal.

Kohl rose from his seat as the room went wild with applause. I swallowed hard as he approached me and turned me to face him. He softly brushed his fingers down my cheek.

"Queen of the Night Realm and Queen of my heart." Kohl pulled me in and engulfed me in a kiss that made an electrical shock rush from my head to my toes. The room went all the wilder with Kohl's passionate display. I blushed as he pulled away.

"I have urgent matters to attend to, my Snowflake, but tonight, I am all yours. Meet me in the courtyard at midnight."

My heart fluttered uncontrollably at his words as he walked down the platform.

"Am I still just a snowflake?" I called to him teasingly, mainly because I didn't want him to go.

"My mistake." He smiled that wicked smile that turned my insides to mush.

"Queen Snowflake."