Chapter 6

Kohl

Once I invaded a mind, it was difficult to retreat, especially when that mind belonged to the male that wanted Iceland for himself.

"Don't do this," she pleaded, gripping my arm urgently.

When she asked, I pulled back from the barrier of the Summer Realm prince's mind almost instantly. I couldn't deny her anything. If she asked me to slit my own throat right now, I would probably do that too.

I hated being under the influence of anyone. This was why fated mates were deadlier than anyone realized. They could take the strongest males and break them down to nothing. Many fae were not fortunate enough to find their fated mates within their lifetime, but I knew it was a blessing rather than a misfortune.

Junis wriggled with pain as I released my hold on him and focused back on Icelyn. She slowly eased her hand from my bicep but did not take her eyes off me. She felt it. I knew she did, but she probably hadn't figured out why there was such an attraction between the two of us.

She shifted uncomfortably under my gaze. I had seen her through the eyes of others and knew she was the most beautiful being, but nothing compared to seeing her with my own eyes.

Her hair glistened like the purest onyx pearl, tempting me to touch it to see if it was as soft as I imagined. Her skin was flawless, like freshly fallen snow. She blinked as I devoured her with my eyes, bringing my attention to her face. Her crystal blue aquamarine eyes swirled with so many emotions. She was confused, angry, and intrigued by me. Her blood-red lips parted slightly, and I had to physically hold myself back from dipping down and sampling a taste.

The Winter King chose that precise moment to finally move, breaking the trance the little vixen had me under. I blinked a few times as Junis finally found his footing. He quickly shifted back into fae form and stood off to the side. A wise decision.

Icelyn stepped towards me, assaulting me with her seductive scent of freshly fallen snow, cream, and vanilla. I retreat a step. Never in my entire life have I backed down from anything, but if she remained this close to me, there was no telling what I might do. Everything within was crying to claim her here and now.

"I will not allow you to hurt my people or Junis. I will agree to go with you if you swear to leave quietly and never return." Icelyn stood her ground and awaited my response.

A flare of anger, like a bolt of electricity, shot through my veins as the name of another male left her lips. I breathed deeply, collecting myself before I put a permanent end to the Summer Realm prince.

"You have my word," I finally answered through my rage.

"Daughter..." The Winter King steps forward, concern lining his brow, and gripped Icelyn's shoulders.

"It's the only way, Father. He could destroy everyone in this room with a single thought, and we need to know what he knows about the Day Realm."

I couldn't destroy everyone in this room with a single thought, but it wasn't a bad idea if they believed I could.

The King glanced back at Junis, whose irritation was apparent for all to see. With a swift nod of his head, he gave his permission for us to continue. I could tell he didn't want to relinquish his hold on Icelyn, but he needed my information more than he needed a mate.

With everyone in agreement, I reached deep within and withdrew the weapon I had stashed in my realm. It materialized quickly and landed in the center of the great table. The elders in the room gasp and step back while the younger fae, including Icelyn, look at it curiously.

Icelyn's hand rose, and I knew she intended to touch it. I snatched her hand mid-air and brought it protectively to my chest.

"That is an iron blade, Snowflake. Touching it could be deadly."

After the initial shock wore off from seeing iron for the first time, Icelyn snatched her hand from my grip.

"I am no snowflake," she informed me in an irritated, low voice.

"Of that, I am certain." I rewarded her with a devilish smile, and she, in turn, rolled her eyes and turned away from me.

"It's a trick; no fae can weld an iron weapon," Junis accused.

"How is this possible?" The Winter King asked.

"I do not know and do not care. My part of the deal is done. I have told you of the weapons they are forging. Now it is your turn to honor your part of the bargain."

I could feel Icelyn's fear, which bothered me because I wasn't sure if it was from leaving her home to go with me or the Day Realm's deadly weapon. Probably a combination of both.

"Shall we?" I held out my hand so I could teleport us back to my realm.

"Give me a few days? I wish to bid my people goodbye and pack my things."

This idea did not sit well with me, but once again, I found it nearly impossible to deny her.

"You have one day to ready yourself. I will send you two of my most trusted comrades at midday tomorrow." My voice left no room for argument, as I disappeared in a puff of night mist before she could convince me otherwise.