Chapter 26

Icelyn

The sun peeked through the cracks in the tree branches; its rays teased my eyes and threatened to awaken me from my warm cocoon. After much reluctance, I opened my eyes and glanced up to see Kohl looking down at me. I snuggled closer to his chest as his arms tightened around me.

I reveled in the sensation of our mate bond as it buzzed between us. It was a permanent tether forever linking us. I could feel everything he felt, his moods, his passion, and most importantly, his happiness.

"Do you intend to stay here all day?" Kohl's chest vibrated as he spoke, and I smiled up at him.

"With you? Yes."

"If you continue to lay in my arms with no clothes on, I will be forced to repeat what happened between us last night." His eyes danced with mischief, and my body heated up again.

I wanted him as badly as he wanted me. I pulled him closer, desperate to fill the void he had created in me. I had a hunger for him that his body could only satisfy. I would ignite if he didn't douse the fire soon.

"Kohl." I startled as I heard Athen hovering nearby, clearing her throat nervously as if ashamed to interrupt us. And...just like that, the moment was gone.

Light as a feather, Kohl brushed his lips against my temple and pulled me to my feet. Regrettably, he was fully clothed in an instant, but not before I caught a peek of his muscled backside. Kohl waved his hand over me, and I was dressed in my usual training outfit.

We walked out from our secluded oasis. Kohl nodded his head in greeting Athen, but I couldn't help but see her with spiteful eyes for interrupting our morning tryst.

"My apologies, but we have an urgent matter that needs your attention. One of your scouts told me this morning that the Princess of the Sirens was stolen from her home last night. The Merpeople threaten war against the land dwellers if she is not returned."

Holy shiitake mushrooms! My mouth fell open as I looked over to Kohl. He, of course, was standing there with an expression like he didn't have a care in the world.

"I have to be in the Day Realm in an hour to speak to their king. Take the Queen with you. She can handle this."

If at all possible, my mouth gaped even wider.

"You can't be serious, Kohl?" I gripped his arm with urgency.

"You are our Queen now. A stolen princess shouldn't be a problem you cannot handle," he reassured me.

"That's not what I mean. You are going to the Day Realm, the realm that is waging war with the other four realms that have the iron weapons!?"

The volume and speed of my voice increased with each syllable. Iron was deadly, and we still did not know how the Day fae could even weld such weapons. I felt my heart clench painfully at the mere thought of losing Kohl. If something happened to him, I would not want to continue living.

"Snowflake, your concern is in vain. Even if they were stupid enough to attack me, which I doubt, they'd have to catch me first." He placed his fingers under my chin and urged me to look him in the eyes.

"I will be back before you know it." He placed a kiss on my lips that had me pining for more.

"Athen, protect my queen." Kohl turned to her, and she nodded her head in understanding. Then he vanished in a swirling cloud of mist.

"Come, Icelyn, we better get started. The sooner we find the missing Princess, the sooner we stop this impending war. Gage will carry you. We need to take to the sky to cover more ground."