Chapter 32

“Talon.” 

    A voice whispered in the darkness, causing Talon to shift around in his bed. 

    “Talon, wake up.”

    His eyes shot open as he recognized the voice talking to him. 

    “Nox?” he asked groggily. 

    “Yes,” Nox replied. “Talon, we need your help.”

    Talon glanced over at the digital clock sitting on his nightstand. The time read four thirty six am. 

    “Nox, it’s too early for this,” Talon groaned, rubbing his eyes. 

    “Would you rather die?” Nox asked sarcastically.

    “What?”

    “Because that’s what’s going to happen to all of us if you don’t help me.”

    “Hold on,” Talon said as he got up from the bed to turn on the light, stumbling around the room blindly. Fumbling for the switch, he found it and flicked it on, shielding his eyes from the light. He rubbed his eyes, trying to adjust. 

    “As you were saying?” TAlon said as we walked back over to the bed and sat on the edge of it. 

    “This is gonna sound like a longshot and you may not understand a word of it right now, but I’m going to try anyways,” Nox said nervously. 

    “‘Kay,” Talon replied. 

    Nox then proceeded to repeat everything he had told Ben earlier about his origin and about Eyra coming. 

    After sitting a processing Nox’s story for a few minutes, Talon sighed. “I’m going back to bed.”

    “Talon! Did you not just hear a word I said?!” Nox exclaimed. “People will die if you don’t go help them.”

    Talon didn’t hear him, having layed back down and fallen back into a deep sleep without even turning off the light. Nox sighed in frustration. He was almost powerless in this situation, unable to wake the man for the lack of a physical form. Mentally, Nox was beating himself up. He had been so dumb, dividing up his power like this. Now he was scattered literally across the world, with almost no hope of bringing himself all back together. 

    Nox decided that it was pointless to stay here and keep stressing. 

    “Fine,” Nox spat. “If you won’t help me, I’ll go find people that will.”

    “We need more power!” Ben yelled back to the people around him. “This isn’t going to be enough people to defeat her.”

    “Ben, we can’t find anyone else!” Lucy yelled back to Ben.

    “What about Talon?! Jenna?! Where are they?” 

    “Nox said they didn’t respond to him.” 

    “Why would they do that?!”

    “I don’t know, Ben! We just have to try with what we have for now!”

    Ben’s expression went cold, determination setting in. He turned in the direction of the shifting light grey cloud in the sky that had been creeping forward for the past few minutes. 

    “You ready, Nox?” Ben asked. Ben felt the consciousness of Nox creep forward to the front of his mind, syncing with Ben in every movement that he made. “Ready.”