Chapter 10

Ben took off his hoodie and headed for the door.

    “What are you doing?” his mom asked.

    “Going to see if anyone needs saving, what else?” 

    “So you’re just going to barge in with no plans or protection?”

    “The metal skin is my protection.”

    “Ok, then what about a plan?”

    “I’ll figure it out once I see what I am dealing with.”

    His mom shook her head. “Fine, fine. You do what you want. You’re the superhuman here. Just be careful, please? I don’t want to have to lose you again.”

    “I’ll be fine mom.”

    “I know, I just get worried.”

    “If it makes you feel any better, I’m pretty sure this metal skin makes it almost impossible for me to get hurt.”

    “Okay I know, just go before you lose your chance!”

    “I’m going!” Ben said as he rushed towards the door. He paused with his hand on the handle. Turning back to face his mom, he said, “Thank you.”

    Ben then rushed out the door and did what she never would have let him do otherwise. He ran to the end of the hall, opened up the window at the end, and jumped out to the empty alleyway. After landing on one knee, he ran out at top speed in the direction of the explosion, dodging people and cars alike as he went. As he was running, two shapes swooped in around him. It was Talon and Lucy. Talon was flying in a classic superman pose while Lucy used the air around her to push a board that she was standing on, almost like she was surfing on air.

    “Long time, no see,” Lucy said as she floated down to Ben’s level.

    “Hey, did you guys come to check out what that explosion was too?”

    “What else?”

    Ben chuckled and slowed to a halt as they reached ground zero. Talon and Lucy floated down to stand next to him. They looked at the burning building looming in front of them. From inside, they could hear screams of people trapped inside. 

    “Well, Ben, it looks like this one is on you,” Talon said.

    Ben whipped his head around. “What do you mean ‘this one is on me’?! Why can’t you help?!”

    “Well, as far as we know, you are the only one of us that can’t get hurt, nor can feel pain. Seeing as the building is on fire, you are the most fitting person for the job.”

    “But you can fly! Why can’t you reach the top floors?”

    “Fire, duh,” Lucy popped up. “I say we combine our powers. I don’t think I can stop the fire because it's energy, not a solidified form of matter, but I can stop the building from collapsing as Talon helps Ben get to the floors people are trapped on. Then Ben can run inside, grab the people, and hand them out to Talon for him to safely fly them to the ground.”

    Ben thought about it for a second. Lucy’s plan seemed like their best bet to get everyone out, but he didn’t know if he trusted Talon’s flying abilities enough to carry people around.

    “Talon, do you think you can carry me?”

    “There’s only one way to find out,” Talon responded as he floated over and grabbed Ben under the arms. He then lifted Ben up to a window on the second floor with ease. “Okay, you go in and grab the person. By the sounds of it, there’s only one on this floor. “

    Ben nodded and stepped down onto the window seal. He took a deep breath and walked inside of the building, watching his step for weak spots in the floor. “Hello?” he shouted, listening for anyone in trouble. “Help! I’m over here!” the person screamed in response. Ben carefully made his way over to the source of the sound. There he found a young woman with her leg trapped under a collapsed beam. She was crying hysterically.

    “It’s okay. I’m going to get you out of this,” Ben said trying to reassure her.

    The woman looked up at him and screamed. “Monster!” she shouted at the top of her lungs. “You did this, didn’t you! You are your little fireball of a friend that started this building on fire just for the fun of it, you psychos!”

    Ben stepped back in confusion. “Did you say ‘fireball’?”

    “Yes! The little girl who walked into the lobby! She burst into flames right there and started everything in sight on fire!”

    Ben shook his head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, but you are obviously delirious. I’m getting you out of here.”

    Ben stepped forward and put his hands underneath the beam. Using all his strength, he pushed it upwards and lifted it over the woman’s head, carefully setting it down behind her. He then picked her up bridal style and picked his way over to Talon to hand her out to him.

    “What was that screaming about?” Talon asked as he took the woman from Ben.

    “I think we found another super,” Ben replied. “She said she saw a little girl come into the lobby and burst into flames on the spot.”

    “Interesting,” Talon said as he flew the woman down to the ground. He then grabbed Ben again and brought him up to the next floor to search for more people. They continued this fashion until they were sure they had checked every floor. 

    “Are you sure you got everyone?” Lucy asked as the boys floated back down to the ground. 

    “Can you sense any other living things in there?” Ben inquired, swatting at his clothes to put out a few smoldering patches.

    “Not that I can tell.”

    “Can you sense where the fire is coming from? Maybe its hottest point?” Talon asked.

    Lucy thought for a moment. “There,” she finally said, pointing at the lobby. There’s a super hot patch in the bottom floor, but it seems to be moving around.”

    Ben and Talon exchanged looks. Could this be the fire girl?

    “I’m going to investigate,” Ben said.

    “Be careful Ben,” Lucy said. “I’m not sure how much longer I can hold up this building.”

    Ben nodded and then ran to the entrance. He then carefully stepped inside, looking for the source of the heat. “Is anyone in here?”

    “What do you want?” a voice asked from the distance.