Chapter 11

Ben stepped in the direction of the voice. “Why are you doing this?” Ben asked. 

    “Why do you care?” the voice said accusingly. 

    “You’ve dozen’s of people’s lives at risk. The least you can do is explain why.” 

    As the heat blazed around Ben, he found it harder and harder to walk around it. Each of his movements become slower and slower. His clothing smoldered and frayed at the edges. Ben looked down at his shirt and swatted at the flames starting, but stopped when he saw his skin. No longer shiny, it had turned molten red. He watched mesmerized as bits of it dripped off from his frame, almost as if he was melting. He realized he didn’t have much time to find and stop this person before he would become a puddle himself. He had no idea if he would be able to reform himself if that happened. He continued to press through the rubble until he saw the source.

    It was a little girl, about eleven or twelve years old. She had flaming red hair and was a little on the heavier side. Her skin was fair and was splattered with freckles. His bright green eyes shone like emeralds as the flames danced in her eyes. She stood in the middle of a fireball, unscathed by the flames surrounding her. Her yellow shirt and jeans were okay, too. She looked over in his direction and screamed. “Don’t hurt me!”

    “Don’t hurt me. Please, you’re the one doing this to me!”

    “What do you mean?!”

    “You are the one that started the fire that is literally making me melt,” Ben said, raising his dripping hand for proof. “Did Nox do this to you?”

    “You had the dream too?”

    “Yeah. And then I woke up looking like this!”

    “I had the same thing! Why do you look like the tin man?”

    Ben gave her a look. “I don’t know, ask Nox.”

    “That’s a pretty dumb power if you can’t hide it.”

    “Speak for yourself.”

    “At least I can hide this some of the time.”

    “Anyways, can you please cut out the flames so I can get you out of here without turning into a puddle?”

    “Don’t you think I would if I could?!”

    Ben put his head into his hands in frustration. “Don’t you think you could just calm down or something?!” he shouted at her.

    “You’re not helping with that.”

    “Fine, fine. I’ll leave and let you cool down for a bit before I come back, okay?”

    “No!” she shouted suddenly. “Please don’t leave,” she added with tears in her eyes.

    “Then let me help you calm down.”

    “Okay,” the girl said with wide eyes as he carefully walked over to her side, just close enough that his clothing wouldn’t burn more than it already was. He crouched down next to her.

    “We’re going to count down from ten, okay? I want you to take deep breaths and count with me.”

    “Okay,” she said with a hopeful tone. She closed her eyes, taking deep breaths as they counted down slowly, saying a number every couple of seconds. When they were on four, Ben heard sirens in the distance. 

    “Crap,” he whispered. 

    “What?”

    “The firemen are on their way. They can’t see you like this.”