Chapter 17

Ben didn’t know how long it was before he came to. He was just grateful they didn’t kill him. He carefully sat up shielding his eyes as the harsh white light in the room temporarily blinded him. He then put his legs over the edge of the surface that he was on. He felt his feet hit the hard, cold steel at the edge. He rubbed his neck and felt the first sensation of pain he had ever experienced since he had woken up in the hospital room. It was slight, but the areas that had been held by Spiky while he was pressed up against the wall ached as he rubbed them. Wincing, Ben decided to figure out where he was first and foremost. 

    His eyes had now adjusted to the light enough for him to see where he was. He was sitting on a thin cot that stank of cleaners and chemicals. At the foot of it, he found two blankets folded and a pillow, ready for future use. On the other side of the room, there was a second cot with blankets and a pillow just like his. Other than the cots, the rooms were barren, void of any sort of furniture. On one of the walls, there was a door leading to a restroom with a toilet, shower nozzle, and a sink. On the wall opposite of the bathroom was another door, large and heavy looking, with two slats in it, one at the bottom and a smaller one at eye level. All the walls of the room were metal just like the floor. In fact, this entire room was like a metal box, without a single window to the outside. 

    Ben decided to try seeing if there was anyone on the other side of the big metal door. He raised his fist and pounded on the door by the top slat. His fist clanged loudly on the door, reverberating around the room. 

    “What you want?!” a voice shouted from the other side of the door as the slit opened up to reveal a pair of small, beady brown eyes. 

    “What’s going on here?” Ben asked.

    “Whadda you mean?” the voice answered in a slurred, lazy accent. 

    “‘What am I doing here?’ is what I mean,” Ben answered, obviously peeved. 

    “Why should you answer a cyborg like yourself?”

    “Dude, I am not a robot.”

    “Woah, sorry. Android.”

    “I’m not an android either.”

    “Yeah, right, anyone with half a brain could see yer an android.”

    Ben breathed deeply. “Fine. Call me what you want. Now can you please tell me why I am here?”

    “Naw, I don’t feel like it.”

    “I swear if you don’t tell me what the heck is going on, I will punch this door down and make you tell me yourself.”

    “Like ta see ya try.’

    Ben took a step back and thrusted all his strength into a sharp jab. His hand glanced off the door, barely leaving a dent. Confused, Ben took a few more steps back and ran at the door, barrelling his shoulder into the side. It left a huge dent in the side, but the door stayed fixed in place. 

    “I-I don’t understand,” Ben said.

    “I told ya not to try,” the voice said. “They make these doors titanium or something like that. Ain’t no android like you gonna bring it down.”

    “Well isn’t that just great,” Ben said, annoyed. He rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Can you at least do one thing for me?”

    “Depends.”

    “Can you tell me if I’m the only one here?”

    “Yeah, there’s more ‘o ya android freaks ‘are. Di'ja think ya were special or somethin’?”