Chapter 21 : The Calm

"He never walks away
He never asks for money
He takes care of me
He loves me
Piece by piece, he restores my faith"

Piece by piece - Kelly Clarkson
.
.
.
.
.
An hour later, here I was sitting in none other then His Highness's room. Hunter refused to let me leave his sight and after a lot of begging from both Jeremy and Jace and a pissed off Christian wanting answers, I decided to just take this matter back to the palace.

We don't need anyone else knowing of our....relationship. Or whatever the hell we had going on

I barely can even call it an arrangement to be honest. We rarely saw one another because of this whole "Secret relationship" thing and when we do, it's barely a day. This wasn't what I wanted in a relationship with my mate.

Growing up I've always saw my parents love towards one another, their loyalty towards one another was so fierce and they always try to understand the other. I actually thought all mate had that kind of bond. But sitting here on the edge of Hunter's bed, I know I was gravely mistaken.

His wolf took over when I refused to be kept in his room and took it upon himself to shift and guard the door like his life depended on it. Growling at it everytime he sensed movement outside or from me.

I hugged my knee and tried to calm the storm that's building inside me. I refuse to be seen as weak in this situation. My wolf was enraged at her mate, but seeing how upset he was, she was pushing me to help calm him down.

"Hunter...what's going on?" I whispered, peeking up at his wolf form who perked up at my sound.
He stoop up and slowly stalked towards me, making me look away. He took this as an opportunity and snuggled his snout in my neck, nuzzling it. I pushed him away only to be stopped by his low growl, a warning for me to stop.

No.

"No Hunter, get off me!" I yelled pushing him back and stood up and looked at him.

His eyes pained, wanting to stop his mate's hysteria. But no, I'm not going to be civil about this!

"You were gonna marry another fucking girl Hunter!" I screamed, pushing my hair back. The situation just again dawning on me.

"You were going to marry another bitch and left me in the dark like some kind of cheap whore!"  I screamed, tears now streaming down my cheeks. My heart breaking all over alongside my trust for this man.

He whined and strutted towards me, we need to discuss this issue before I do something I might regret.

I took a deep breath and composed myself, we all need to be calm if we want to resolve this messed up situation.

"We need to discuss this issue Hunter, please just shift. We need to talk." I said, rubbing my head, feeling the headache brewing up. I turned away from him and heard him huff before retreating towards the bathroom.

I looked out towards the vast kingdom, the view was spectacular. That I couldn't lie about. Looking at the vast land, I knew I wasn't ready to be its ruler. I can't even keep my pet goldfish alive for more then 2 weeks for Goddess sake.

I was merely an Underdweller, I can't possibly rule a Kingdom. It'll cause an uproar in the werewolf community. I sighed and hid my face behind my hands. This was such a mess.

I was too caught up in my thoughts when I suddenly felt a pair of arm hug me from behind. Goosebumps rose and I could feel my skin burn from his touch. I loved it here, I love being in his arms. I felt safe and protected, but right now, all I felt was betrayal right to the core. It gutted me, almost made me feel sick, so I wiggled free and took 3 steps back. Needing to create a safe distance between us.

"I'm sorry" He whispered, his hands reach up to cup my face but again, I took a step back. Not wanting his touch right now.

"Sorry doesn't fix the fact that you went behind my back AND GOT ENGAGED!" I said, throwing my hands up in the air in an exasperated manner.

"It wasn't like that Lea!" He answered back, opening his mouth to say something but nothing came out, making him stand there gaping like a fish out of water.

"If it wasn't like that then why can't you say something Hunter? What? You thought I wasn't going to know? You thought I'd be okay with sitting behind the curtain while you go around with your wife?" I gritted out. My wolf was increasingly becoming more violent with the images of her mate being with another female.

"No! Milea please just listen to me. When I went for that meeting, it was because I was trying to stop the engagement. Yes, before I met you, I've previously made an alliance with the Velfaye Kingdom, but that was before I met you. The moment my eyes landed on you at that ball, I knew that I was done. You're the one Lea, no one else." He whispered out the last part and cupped my face in both hands, resting his forehead to mine.

I wanted to believe the words he just said...was it true? Is he saying the truth? But why would he lie? I closed my eyes and tears continued streaming down my face. Hunter pulled back and pressed me against his chest, nuzzling his face in my crook while holding me while I cry.

I was frustrated at myself for giving into him so easily. I was angry at myself for crying. I wanted to be strong and show him that if he ever decided to leave me for that...that female, he'd be missing out on a lot of things.

"Give him this one chance Lea, he hasn't given us a reason to doubt him. Let's just give him this." Skylar whispered to me. She was now calm in the arms of her mate.

"Should we, Sky? What if he's just feeding us some bull story so we don't reject him?" I asked.

"Well, we won't know that will we? All we have to do now is trust him and move on. In the end, if what he's saying isn't true, then we'll drop him and learn from our mistakes. There's no guarantee we won't be hurt either way." She adviced.

My wolf, as you may notice, was far more mature then I am. So I took her advice, she was never one to be wrong.

I pulled back and looked at him, "One chance Hunter. That's all you get. One chance and if you fuck it up, I'm gone."

He looked me dead in the eyes and said, "That's all I need. I'm really sorry baby, I never meant to hurt you, I just thought I was doing the right thing at the time. I wasn't even sure if I even had a mate so I decided it was best to agree to the alliance." He explained.
I nodded my head and went to step away from him only to be pulled flushed against his chest.

"What the hell are you doing?" I gasped out.

"You've been running away from me all day," He said, brushing his nose on my neck before nibbling at the soft skin. I moand and went to pull away, only for him to softly pinch my hip, warning me to stop moving.

I swallowed hard and closed my eyes before regaining enough control over myself to answer this despicable man, "I wasn't e-exactly running away.." I shakily replied, biting on my lip to stop a moan from coming out. Dammit, where the hell did the spunk in me go?

He suddenly pulled away with a scowl on his face. I scrunched my brows, confused at the sudden shift of energy.

"What?" I asked.

"You smell like him." He spat out. Him?

Hi-ohh...I smell like Christian.

"Who? Christian?" I laughed at him. Why's he jealous of his own cousin?

"Yes. Go take a shower. You're welcome to use my clothes, their in the closet." He said pointing at a huge door behind him.

I laughed as he stalked out of the room, "Maybe I should ask Christian if he brought any of his. He smells better." I teased.

He slammed the door behind me and yelled "Shut up Lea!" before stalking off to Goddess knows where.
I laughed at his childish act and went towards the bathroom. Trying to soak up the normality I'm feeling after so long.