Ch 14: Inferno of the Heart

Start from the beginning

Orferio violently shoves me from the table. Max is reaching over the table and drags me out of my seat. I'm partially thrown onto the ground. I cry out as the back of my head slams into the ground. The boys grab my wrists and pin me to the ground, steering clear of the fire bursting from my stinging palms.

I stare up at them with tears in my eyes. I sob quietly and wince as fire burns through my skin. Helpless, I watch as fire continues to spew from my palms and engulf the surrounding area.

"I'm sorry," I cry to them, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to!"

The raging fire creates intense waves of heat. The fire destroys the nearby tables and the walls. The lights burst into flurries of sparks. The sprinkler system does nothing to ease the intensity of the fire.

The people are screaming louder than the alarms. I only catch glimpses of their shadows moving behind the walls of fire. Debris begins to fall from the burning fire. Plaster crashes into the ground in large heaps.

"Hold her!" Max shouts to Orferio, "I'm going to try to suppress her power!"

"Ah!" Orferio winces sharply as smoke begins to rise from his hands. "Juliette, stop! Remember what I taught you!"

I'm in hysterics. I scream at the boys to run from me. I kick my legs wildly, trying to sit up. "Get away from me!"

I don't want to hurt them! They need to run!

The smell of burning plastic is suffocating. Smoke clouds the entire restaurant and solidifies into darkness. The orange flames darken in color as it destroys everything it touches.

"Guys! We gotta get outta here!" Maya shrieks.

I did this. I was being stupid and I did this. I wasn't paying attention to the damage I was doing and I ignored the swell of my powers. This is all my fault. People are getting hurt because of my loss of control.

Shame is as suffocating as the smoke. Guilt aches inside my racing heart.

I'm not better than they are.

I put myself on a high pedestal. I thought I was mature. I thought I was calm and collected but I'm not.

I'm a horrible person.

I take a shaky breath and grimace as my burns worsen. I fist my hands together and grit my teeth. Internally, I imagine blowing out a candle flame. A distant but familiar image returns.

The fire stops flowing from my hands.

Steam rises from my bright red fingertips. I can already feel my skin peeling away.

Briefly, Maya and I lock eyes through the raging chaos.

A phantom rush of energy surges through my veins, terrifying me. Another wave of fire is coming. I can't let that happen. They have to get out of here before it comes.

Through my panic, I realize the boys are trying to heal me. Their hands glow with ethereal energy. Red and blue. Their eyes are focused on my burning hands.

"You don't understand! You have to get out here!" I scream desperately, "PLEASE! Run! Run away now!" I choke on the toxic air and begin to feel lightheaded. "GO!"

Max hisses sharply in pain but forces himself to hold my wrists. Orferio holds together, clenching his jaw as he fights through the pain. In the haze of the smoke, his eyes shine brighter than the flames and flickers with shadows.

"We're not going to leave you!" Orferio sharply.

"There's more coming," I beg him, "I can't—, I can't control it! Please, leave me!"