Chapter 62

Children

Kingslanding

She did not want to let go of the crying Visenya, but the babe was pried from her hands by Nymella. "It's alright," Nymella told her, passing Visenya onto a Martell guard as they clambered onto the boat that had come to take them onto the ship. "You could come with us, save us all the heartache."

"I can't leave," Arianne cried, wiping the tears from her eyes as she kissed Valerion goodbye. The young Prince was in his father's hands and had been passed onto another guard. "Don't let them out of your sight Nymella." Valerion, who was not happy about the situation, scrunched his hands together and opened them, indicating he wanted to be returned to his father.

Nymella nodded in response.

"And don't spat in front of them," she laughed lightly, Nymella and Penelope had never been good friends, hopefully, this would bring them closer together.

"And if you pass by the Ladybright fleet, tell them to hurry up!" Oberyn piped up.

He was waiting for his bannermen to return with soldiers that had not made it the first time around, of them included Lord Ander Ladybright – Arianne having found out the mysterious man who had been a part of her and Rhaegar's bedding ceremony. He had also accompanied them down to the harbour with complaints of boredom.

"You would be much safer in Dorne. Besides you could visit Ashara in Starfall and see your birthplace," Rhaegar reminded her, as he had been reminding her as the days closed in on the twin's departure date.

"I am only sending them on your account, they would be safe here. I know we will win this war," Arianne replied, hugging Nymella and Penelope goodbye as they climbed onto the boat and took each child from the guards.

"May the Mother watch over Prince Valerion and Princess Visenya in their journey to Dorne and keep them safe as they are protected from these dark times. May they know their mothers' everlasting love and their father's protection," the High Septon, who had joined them to the docks, prayed as he watched the boat was rowed away.

Oberyn rolled his eyes, turning around to leave.

Arianne had asked for the High Septon to come and bless their departure, not wanting to take any chances when it came to her children. She'd miss them terribly, but Rhaegar had shown no signs of letting them stay. He had, just by a scratch let her stay.

She turned to Rhaegar, eyes bloodshot. "Are you satisfied?"

He sent her a disapproving look, "not entirely," he pointed to her, "you were supposed to go with them." She ignored his words, binding her hands together as she followed Oberyn and Kingsguard back into the Keep. "Why are you acting like I won't miss them as well?" Rhaegar asked her, skipping his steps a little to catch up with her.

"You have shipped them away from me. They would have been safer here."

"I will gently remind you, Arianne," he stopped her with his hand on hers, "they are royalty. Not common children who can skip about in the creeks of the forest. They have duties, as you and I do. And they are important commodities come wartime."

"Right, it's so refreshing knowing they are sheep and you their shepherd."

She really was insufferable sometimes. Why could she not understand that he was doing what he was doing to keep them safe? If there was a chance the city fell, they would be the first ones Brandon's men would come for.