Chapter 57

Closer

Kingslanding

Arianne watched from afar as Rhaegar and the newly arrived Twyin Lannister spoke in hushed voices, their bodies facing the balcony in the gardens. She was sat a few steps away, humming to Valerion as the babe squealed in delight at the sight of his father. He drooled onto her hand as he bit into it, he had been teething and was taking it considerably well.

Visenya on the other hand ... she made sure to make her discomfort and pain known. Arianne had given her to the milkmaid to feed now as she was tired of being bitten constantly. It wasn't as bad as it was in Dragonstone though, the two had started eating food, albite it was runny and repulsed Arianne, they seemed to enjoy it. Arianne was glad to be back in Kingslanding, Dragonstone had tired her, the journey back was uncomfortable and reminded her never to go via ship again.

"What are you so excited about, hmm? Are you not happy with mama?" Arianne asked the babe, whispering into his ear. Valerion giggled, taking her nose into his hands. He moved his lips, trying to mimic her words. "Ma-ma," Arianne repeated slowly, catching onto his wonder. He was five moons old, almost six moons, and already starting to speak.

He moved his lips again, "pa-pa." He squealed in excitement, following his first tangible word with a series of other babbles. Jaime and Arthur, who were stood near her both let out stifled laughter.

"Yes, very funny." Arianne glared at him, "I feed you, change you, wash you – and yet you are your father's son. I am hurt Valerion." Valerion laughed in response. Arianne had never seen such a happy child; all he did was laugh and babble. Even when the hard-faced Tywin had interrupted their family lunch, Valerion had reached out for the man to grab him. He was Twyin Lannister, so of course, he did not. At the sight of Twyin, Visenya had wailed so loudly that a wet nurse had come and taken her away.

She could not think of loving two people any more than she had loved her children, apart from Rhaegar of course.

Rhaegar let out a small chuckle, her favourite kind. Arianne turned her attention from their son to Rhaegar, observing as Twyin watched the Prince laugh. The way he held onto the balcony, threw his head back, placed his hand on his chest in a delicate manner – she could not believe how lucky she had been to be married to such a man. Arianne wondered what the stiff-lipped Lord Twyin had said to cause such a response.

Their surroundings grew silent for the shortest second, the birds around them quieting down. One of the seven bells of the Sept of Baelor rang loudly. It was deafening and had grabbed the attention of the two men.

"What is it?" Arianne asked Rhaegar as he made his way over, she stood from her stone seat.

"I don't know," Rhaegar responded, how could he? He was stood near her the whole time.

It kept ringing as a servant with his hands held behind his back ran over to them. "Your grace, your grace, my lord," he bowed, "I'm sorry to disturb you but-," hesitated for a moment.

"Out with it boy," Twyin scowled.

"The Queen has given birth; the babe has passed."

...

Rhaegar and Arianne stood at the foot of the Queen's bed, watching as Rhaella lay limply on her bed.

"We do not expect her to recover from this one," Maester Pycelle sighed, moving slowly from her bed to the two. "It was a difficult birth."

"Thank you Maester," Rhaegar whispered, waiting for the Maester to excuse himself. The room had been cleaned before they entered, and there was only one maid who sat next to Rhaella and patted her head with a wet cloth.