Chapter 39

Thirty-Nine

My dearest Arianne. Word has reached Winterfell of the King's announcement of your true birth. I apologise for not telling you earlier, but it was not my place to do so. I had hoped to keep you in Winterfell for this very reason, to prevent you from falling into a life that consisted of constantly pleasing an audience.

I hope you can forgive me for keeping such a secret and would like to offer Winterfell to the Targaryen's as the official wedding place. I know you lean towards our Gods and do not want your voice silenced during this exciting time.

Please give the King, Queen and royal family the Starks congratulations.

Lord Rickard Stark

Warden of the North

Arianne stared down at the parchment in her hands. She had received it a few days ago, only a week after the feast; where her entire world had been turned upside down.

Beside her, there was a soft rustling, "still reading the letter?" Julian asked, placing his warm hands over her shoulder.

She had grown closer to the drunk than she would have liked, having shut herself from the entire Keep and only coming out to attend events at the Kings' wishes and to plan for the wedding with the Queen. Which according to Nymella, was going to be a gaudy overflow of flowers and wine.

"Just my fa- Lord Stark offering Winterfell for the wedding," Arianne muttered, flicking the small letter onto the floor and laying back down.

Julian snorted, playing with her hair. "It seems fitting, no?"

"They King would never let his eldest re-marry in front of the old gods," she pointed out sighing and biting her lip. Arianne gazed at the curtains that were calling for her to open them and fling herself from the room.

"Hey!" Julian snapped his fingers, "stop thinking about killing yourself. There's an easier way out of this."

Arianne, who was suddenly very interested in the conversation, pushed herself from the pillow and turned her body fully to Julian. "Go on."

He looked up, contemplating the words that were about to leave his lips. Before saying anything, Julian tugged at his clasp bracelet and placed it on the bed. Arianne, who was confused with his action, picked up the bracelet and inspected it. It looked normal, with a jade centre that looked detachable. Julian moved closer, his curls tickling her forehead. He took the bracelet from her hands and pulled the jade out and pointed to a hole at its tip.

"Rhaegar gave this to me. I was supposed to have this step done by now but I've been a little preoccupied. Plus we're in the process of perfecting the plan."

"Julian I don't understand?" Arianne responded, taking the jade from his hand and giving it a closer look.

Julian bit his lip, "I'm supposed to kill the King."

She jumped up from the bed, not caring that she was naked. "So do it!"

"It's not as easy as just pricking him with some poison! The council will want to hold an official-,"

"Do it while he's eating, gods give it to me I'll do it. I'll ask him for a meal the day before the wedding and kill the monster. No one will suspect I did it."

Julian raised his brow, "no one will suspect the person who is laying in another's bed, dreading her wedding, killed the king in an attempt to get away from Kings Landing?"

She bit her lip, understanding his dilemma a little bit better now. "I'll tell the Queen. She hates her husband ... brother ..." she paused for a while, wondering what she'd call Rhaegar if they did get married. Arianne started to feel sick again so she shook the idea from her head. "She'll help me do it. I'm sure of it."