Chapter 41

The People's Prince

Kingslanding

Rhaegar was awoken with his four-poster bed's curtains being drawn and the morning sunlight hitting his eyes. He groaned, covering his eyes and holding his hand to his head.

"Wake up! You're getting married ... again," it was Julian, shaking him until Rhaegar slapped his hand away. "Come now sunshine, everyone's here to get you dressed."

Rhaegar propped himself on his elbow, staring around the room. There were a few squires, maids and of course the newly arrived Otto Redwyne, Julian's distant cousin and Olenna's nephew, scattered around the room. "Just a little more."

"Oh no your grace, we've let you rest long enough," Otto sighed, taking the covers off of Rhaegar and pulling him up from the bed. "We'll be late to your wedding breakfast and late to your time with the High Septon, haven't you upset him enough taking a second wife?"

Rhaegar gave him a pointed look, taking the warm towel from a maid who had held it out to him. "When did you get here?" He placed the warm towel over his face and wiped it, waking himself up.

"Late last night, I presume the banners at the gates indicate that everyone who is anyone has been invited?"

"Father wanted to gloat to them," Rhaegar responded. It was true, Aerys was for once in a mood that wasn't heinous, and he wanted to show it to the Kingdoms that his long lost daughter, or so he thought, had been found. Rhaegar was settled with his mother's explanation of the situation, there could be no such thing.

"Was Harrenhal a success?" Otto blurted, wanting to know one thing and one thing only. Had Rhaegar managed to sway the Lord's of Westeros for a peaceful overthrow of the Mad King?

Rhaegar shook his head, "now isn't the time to discuss such things. I'm getting married, let me be happy for one day. I'm marrying the woman I love, for once life has gone the way I wanted it to." Rhaegar smiled to himself as he pulled up the black trousers that were handed to him and tied them. A maid let out a giggle but quickly collected herself at his words, she ruffled his tunic up and waited until he had rid of his nightshirt. Rhaegar pulled on the tight tunic, the maid then took two silver dragon-shaped clips and placed them on his tunic. Once she had done that, she connected both with a golden chain, giving the illusion that the clips were holding his tunic up. Once she was done, she stepped aside so Julian could help him into the soft ivory coloured jacket that Rhaella had made to match Arianne's dress.

He stepped back, "honestly I'd fuck you too."

Rhaegar tutted as he was helped into his boots, his belt was tied around his waist and finally, his hair brushed out and braided with his ruby crown placed on last. A squire stepped up to him with another box, this time with jewellery. Rhaegar chose to keep it light, wearing only two rings on his pinkie and index finger.

"Are you ready?" Otto asked, standing up from the sofa he had made himself so comfortable on.

"Yes, shall we go to breakfast?" Rhaegar asked, waiting for the squire to tie his Targaryen cloak around his shoulders.

They left the room, Arthur and Jonothor both situated at the door following behind them as they made their way to the dining hall.

"Well hello their Prince of the people," Arthur mocked, indicating to Rhaegar's more fancy wear. Rhaegar patted Arthur's back, his hand hitting the golden armour lightly.

Rhaegar was tempted to slowly open the door to Arianne's room and get a peak, but Jaime gave him a disapproving look and he kept walking.

"Who's at breakfast?" Rhaegar asked both Julian and Otto, they shrugged in response.