Chapter 4

Four

"Lyanna, ride behind me!" Brandon Stark bellowed at his younger sister. She had been gallivanting in front of him with her horse, and as his father had assigned him the job of leading the party, he did not want to let him down. Nor did he want his sister to injure herself before they had even made it to Harrenhal. Or more truthfully, for himself to be seen as weaker than her.

"I'll ride wherever I want," Lyanna snapped back. Brandon had been irritating her for the past hour or so and she had had enough of him.

So what if I rode a few steps in front of him? She thought. If he wanted to lead so much he can ride ahead of me.

She heard her brother grunt behind her, scoffing at her stubbornness. "I'm not known as the best rider to be bested by my baby sister!" She had always been the stubborn type, the type to fight back any chance she got. Her father had told her she got it from her mother.

Lyanna, however, did not think that her youngest sister had inherited the same trait from her mother, whoever she was. When Arianne had come skipping out of the Hall doors and squealed to Lyanna that their father had agreed to let her go, Lyanna smiled back. Though out of common sisterly courtesy.

Her love for her sister would always be there, but the jealousy she had for her seemed to grow day by day. When they were getting fitted for dresses she couldn't help but suggest Arianne against all the dresses that suited her well. Reminding her that she was to be modest and dress according to her status. Lilia was present at the fittings as well and tutted at Lyanna, telling her that Tourney's were for exposure and the only time a lady could act the way she wanted once the sun had gone down.

"Dress as you want my love, the weather nor eyes will freeze or judge you. Trust me," Lilia had whispered to Arianne once Lyanna had excused herself out of fear she would let something unkind slip out.

"Are you sure Lilia, some of these dresses are a little low cut. Besides, I truly would be fine wearing those like Lyanna's," Arianne sighed staring down at the dress she had been wearing. It was a dark red color and complimented her skin tone very much. There was, however, a low plunging front and a backless design to it that made her feel uneasy. Lyanna had opted to have simpler and plainer dresses made. Most in a different shade of blue with layering and a collar.

"Your father did not bring down the finest seamstresses and finest silks and cloths in the North to have you choke yourself up in a dull dress that you could wear at home. When you get to Harrenhal, you will have all eyes on you. Lyanna is betrothed, you are not. If any time was perfect to find the man you love, now is. Do not second guess yourself when it comes to these things, us Dornish women have a knack for fashion that some Northern ladies may....lack."

And Lyanna had heard it all. She did not have the stomach to leave and pressed her ear against the door. Huffing at the handmaiden's statement, she marched to her room to change into her riding wear.

"Lyanna watch out!" Brandon called out. She ducked her head just in time. Her thoughts must have consumed her for she had almost hit a branch. She turned back to her brother and sent a smile his way.

"Have you checked on Arianne? I'm afraid the road does not suit her too well," Lyanna responded by slowing her pace to match her brothers.

"She is in the back, on a carriage. I am to lead the party. How would I have had the time to check on her?" Brandon asked frowning.

"Maybe during seven thousand stops we've made?" Lyanna noted. Her brother had been acting funny ever since they had left Winterfell, or rather ever since he had learned that Arianne would be joining them to Harrenhal. It seemed Benjen was the only one who was excited about his half-sister's company to the Tourney.