Arianne watched the Maester exit the room, she neared the bed, "leave us please."

The maid looked back at her, "but your grace-,"

"It's alright, I can do it," she cut in. She nodded and handed Arianne the wet cloth, getting up from the bed and leaving the room in haste. Arianne dipped the cloth in the nearby bowl, wrung it and pressed it to Rhaella's head.

Rhaella let out a laboured breath, lifting her hand up to touch Arianne's. "Mother you must rest," Rhaegar called out, he was seated at the edge of the bed now.

Rhaella smiled lightly in response, "I told him, anyone but that one." Rhaegar scoffed, knowing exactly what she was referring to. Arianne frowned, "at Harrenhal. When you arrived, I said to Rhaegar anyone but her." Arianne laughed quietly in response, unsure of what to say to better Rhaella's mood. "She was to be Daenerys Targaryen; it seems the gods do not wish me to have a daughter."

"I'm sorry Rhaella," Arianne whispered, wiping a tear that was falling from Rhaella's soft and pale face.

Rhaella smiled again, "I will meet her soon enough. She would have been gentle, like her brothers." Rhaegar stayed silent, uncertain of what to say. "Gentle and determined." There was a soft silence, the soft breeze of the spring air outside cooling down the hot room. "You were the coyest little thing," Rhaella laughed once more, "and Rhaegar – you'd think he'd never seen a woman in his entire life." She was talking to herself now. "You are exactly as she was."

Arianne blinked down at Rhaella, resting her legs on the bed properly now. She leant over to dip the towel in the bowel again, Rhaella stopped her.

"Serene," Rhaella whispered back, pulling Arianne's face closer to her. "She told me, the next girl I will have is to be named Arianne Dayne. Well, she told me and Prince Doran, the little thief," she laughed, recalling Prince Doran saying his next daughter was to be named Princess Arianne and the two had quarrelled over it. Rhaella had calmed them.

"The first daughter to be born shall take the name. Does that sound fair?"

"I sent her away because I thought he would have killed you. There was still a chance I-," Rhaella pointed to her stomach, "I didn't know what he'd do ... to you or Serene ... or me, as selfish as that seems. And I had one of my own lords killed for it. I know you loved Rickard Arianne, and I'm truly sorry I caused such a mess," Rhaella said, her cheeks red and her eyes tired.

"It's alright, you thought no ill of it. And I wouldn't have two beautiful children to call my own without your actions," Arianne smiled lightly, taking Rhaegar's free hand into her own.

Rhaella sighed, she had finally gotten off her chest what was there for seven and ten years. "He never took another woman you know – he might have looked, but Serene was his first and last paramour. She was my lady, ever since I was the Princess of Dragonstone, she was my lady," Rhaella felt her voice crack as she spoke. "He had not even taken Joanna. The rumours some people come up with," she rolled her eyes. "Besides, Twyin would have never married a woman that Aerys had touched."

Rhaegar moved off the bed and closer to her, "stop talking this instance and rest."

"I'm dying sweet boy; don't you see that?"

"You are not," Rhaegar insisted.

Rhaella took his hand in her left, and Arianne's in her right. They sat there for some time, listening to Rhaella's strained breaths and Arianne's whispered prayers. "Kill him. A thousand deaths I wish on him," Rhaella sobbed, kissing Rhaegar's hand. "I'm sorry I can't be with you as you are crowned King. Take care of Viserys."

Rhaegar shushed her, placing his forehead on her own. "You are speaking nonsense."

"To be a King is not a right, it is your duty Rhaegar. Don't lose what your ancestors died to preserve." Her incoherent words from before making sense to both Rhaegar and Arianne now. Rhaella blinked up at him, closing her eyes for the final time and letting out a relaxed breath. Rhaegar and Arianne watched as her breaths grew silent, the rise and fall of her chest ceasing.

"No," Rhaegar mumbled, shaking her lightly. "No, mother you are not dying. Not now, not yet." He shook her gently.

"Rhaegar," Arianne said, moving his hands from the Queen's departed body. If it was one thing her Septa had taught her properly, it was to let the dead rest. "Rhaegar stop it."

He slapped her hand away, letting out a wail Arianne had never heard leave his lips.

There was not one soul in the city who slept that night, the seven bells rang all throughout the night – reminding Rhaegar of his mother's death over and over again. He had half a mind to fling his body from the balcony. Half a mind to ride to Summerhall and lose himself amongst the rubble he had been born in. Half a mind to fall on his own sword. But being held in Arianne's arms stopped him, for now.

He cried all through the night, Arianne could not help but think his voice was just as melodic as it was when he was singing.

...