~Chapter 46~

Donovan's Pov:

"You think she's gonna be alright? I hate seeing her look so sad."

The sound of Nathan's concerned voice coming from beside me, pushes away the thoughts I'd been focusing hard on and back to the reality where I am driving us towards the race track.

It's currently Sunday, and the last day for racing season until next year after winter break. With Christmas and New Year's rolling in, not many people show up to watch the tournaments so the guys who run it shut down the track until the second week of January. In all honesty, none of us really needed to show up tonight for this. We're pretty much covered with savings for our families to last us until April, but we figured we'd might as well get extra cash to treat ourselves and the girls for Christmas.

Glancing in the rearview mirror to check on the pretty girl in question, I find her head leaning against the window with eyes shut and a slight smile on her lips. It warms my heart knowing that she's having a peaceful sleep after the hard week she's been through. When I went up to her apartment earlier, Jesse said that she's starting to get nightmares again after going without them for a while.

And although he didn't have to say it, I knew that he was blaming himself. It was written all over his expression.

Sighing, I slow the car down to a stop when the streetlight turns red. "She'll pull through, we just need to give her some time." They both need time...

Rolling down the window, Nate spits out the gum he'd been chewing and quickly closes it back up before it gets too cold in the car. "Y'know Sophie will be upset that we let her fall asleep, right? She hates taking naps cause they give her a headache every time she wakes up."

I shrug in response, pressing on the gas as the green light signals for me to move. "Yeah but she really needed to rest. According to Jesse, she spent the whole night crying after they got to the apartment and she only managed to sleep for two hours."

I could practically feel the frown that just grazed his features at the mention of Sophie's pain. "Guess we all underestimated how much she loved that house" he mutters quietly.

After that I didn't how else to respond, I simply nodded while keeping my eyes on the dimly lit road. But Nathan being Nathan, he couldn't take the sound of silence for long so he decided to start up another conversation.

"Hey, so are you actually cool with Oliver and James being together? We haven't gotten the chance to talk about it."

I should've known this would come up sooner or later...

My answer is given with full honesty when I say, "as long as Oliver is happy and is being treated right, that's all that matters. If that means I need to get along with James and play nice, then so be it."

Somehow, that made Nate chuckle with a shake of his head. "I didn't think you'd be so willing to end this feud of yours. Especially because you're stubborn. When did you get so soft, man?"

"I did it for her" I say without hesitation, my voice strong and more certain than I've ever felt about anything before. "Every choice, every sudden change of plan, has always been about her."

I think my declaration surprised Nathan because when I realize it's been silent for a few seconds, I quickly glance over to see him staring at me, stunned. Clearing my throat, I adjust my hand on the steering wheel and pray that he'll stop looking at me before I start blushing in embarrassment.