~Chapter 21~

This chapter is dedicated to arelyyy34 (thank you for the support and your eye catching comments♡)

Three days. That's how long our relationship lasted. In those three long days I managed to scare him away with all my problems and insecurities. Donovan thinks it's his fault for the way everything went but he's wrong. It was all me, it always is.

I let my fears and doubts get in the way of our time together and now I'm dealing with the consequences.

When I woke up a couple hours after Donovan left, I looked out my window to see that the sun was starting to rise. My clock read 5:57am and although I disliked missing out on classes, there was no way I'd be able to endure school today. Feeling how tired my eyes were and how dry my throat was from crying, I slowly got out of bed and went into the bathroom.

Seeing myself in the mirror I looked horrible. And broken. My eyes were puffy and appeared sunken in while my hair was an absolute mess. Turning on the sink, I splashed water onto my face and then brushed my teeth before leaving. I crawled back into bed and pulled the covers over me but not with the intention to sleep. Instead I lied there staring at the ceiling until hours passed and I heard Jesse moving around in his room. I knew he'd be coming in here soon to wake me up.

Right on cue, my brother lightly knocked on my door and opened it scanning my room until his eyes met mine. I could visibly see his reaction to my current state because he sucked in a breath and came in hesitantly.

"How long have you been up?"

As much as I didn't want to be rude, I just couldn't find it in me to speak to him. I shrugged and averted my gaze to the ceiling again. His footsteps made their way to the side of my bed and I felt it dip as he sat next to me. From the corner of my eye I noticed him studying my face but I kept my gaze away from him.

"Is there anything specific you want for breakfast today? We've got plenty of time until I have to drop you off at school."

I shake my head no and turn my body so that my back is facing him as I'm laying down. He sighs and places a gentle hand on my shoulder, rubbing his thumb back and forth.

"Sweetheart, talk to me. I know that yesterday was tough for you and I'm sorry for how it all turned out but Donovan didn't deserve you after what he did."

His voice was soft but his words made my heart clench and I felt tears brim the corner of my eyes.

"As much as I hate seeing you like this, I'm honestly glad that you two aren't dating anymore. He hurt you and I wasn't going to stand around and not punish him for it" he keeps talking which only crushes my heart more.

Letting the tears fall and my bottom lip quivering, I sniffle making Jesse alarmed. "Sophie, please don't cry" he grabs me by my underarms and places me sideways on his lap as if I weighed nothing. Jesse wraps his arms around me as I cling onto his shirt and sob my eyes out for probably the tenth time in the last 15 hours.

Neither of us spoke for a while as he comforted me and I let my heart pour out of my chest. My brother turned his head to check the time then kissed my forehead and stood up to carry me out of my room. Going down the stairs, I rest my head on his collarbone and closed my tired eyes. I felt him place me on the big couch in the living room and brushed my hair out of my face.

"I'll be right back" he said then walked into the kitchen.

I grabbed the throw blanket we keep on the couch and wrapped myself in it hoping to find some comfort. The hoodie and sweatpants I put on yesterday before everything got crazy were baggy from being worn but I didn't care. It's not like I plan on leaving this house anytime soon.