chapter eighteen

Darius POV (few months later)

I felt Avery get on my chest and starts to play with my hair.

That has been her way of waking me up for the past few weeks.

She was getting way better, she would smile and giggle more often.

She doesn't always have to hold onto me.

She was starting to return to the Avery that was before her kidnapping.

I opened my eyes to see her smiling and looking at me.

"Good morning, Ave." I told her with a husky voice from the lack of using my voice.

"Good morning, daddy!" She said cheerfully.

°°°°°°

I bathed her and changed her, now she was having breakfast that I made her.

I hired a new housekeeper, sally, besides Josephine as I don't trust her completely yet.

I was showering and when I got out of the shower I heard my phone ringing.

It was Leonard, I answered.

"Hey."

"Hey, what's up?"

"I just wanted to remind you that school is starting in two days and I think it's time to sign Avery in for school."

"Yeah, but it's just that she is going to be away for long hours and I don't think I am ready for that."

"But she has to go to school."

"I know." I sighed.

We talked for a few more seconds before we hung up.

I got dressed for work and walked downstairs.

I saw Avery standing on a stool and putting her empty plate in the kitchen's sink.

I think she heard my footsteps by the way she looked at me as soon as I entered the kitchen.

"Daddy!" She ran to me and I knelt down to her level.

"You are leaving to work already?" She asked sadly.

"Yeah, baby, I have to leave now." I told her.

"Can I come with you, today? You promised me I could come to work with you once a week and today is friday and I haven't gone with you all week." She said.

"Okay, but you have to get dressed quickly." She nodded and ran to her room to change.

Things that also changed those few past months was that she could change herself.

A few moments later she came downstairs dressed in a black crop top and a striped black and white shorts.

"Daddy! Look! We are matching!" She said running to me.

I was dressed in a black suit and I knew that she always tries to match with me.

I picked her up and helped her put her shoes on.

We got out of the house and I buckled Avery in her car seat and got in the drivers seat.

°°°°°°

We were in the office when I remembered that I have to tell Avery about school.

"Avery." I called her, she looked at me from her place at the couch that was in the office.

"Yes, daddy?" She stood up and came to me.

I picked her up and put her on my lap.

"You know that you should go to school, soon."