Chapter 9

"Leave him alone," I said.

"You ghouls just keep coming," Amon said and grabbed his quinque. 

"We're just like you humans," I said, my tail coming to my side. "We protect one another."

"But you eat humans."

"You eat cows. You eat sheep. You eat pigs. You eat other living animals and yet you don't hear them complain."

"Because they're unable to."

"True, but if they were given the option to have human intelligence, whose to say they wouldn't do the same. We just eat because we need to. You eat because you need to."

"What is the meaning of this?" Amon asked. "Are you just stalling so your friend here can get back up?"

I looked at Kaneki, who was struggling to get up.

"No. I'm trying to show you how screwed up this world is."

"You don't need to show us much," Amon said and charged towards me with his quinque.

My tail extended outwards and blocked it. He raised his hands above his head and my tail wrapped around his hands. I flung him into the water next to us. I walked over to see he had emerged from the water.

"If you know what's good for you, you'll stay there," I said.

Amon wasn't going to give up that easily. He grabbed his quinque and jumped out of the water. He landed in front of me and he had a pissed look on his face. 

"You ghouls are such pests! You know what we do with pests like you, exterminate them!" he said and raised his quinque over his head.

I dodged and my tail wrapped around Kaneki so he wasn't in the middle of the fight. I put him above where we were and focused on Amon. 

"You don't have my full power. Please, let me be unleashed just this once."

"If I do that, I'll lose control."

"I promise you won't."

"I'm not trusting you, Scorpio."

"Please, just this once. You need my strength in order to save your friends."

I sighed, "Fine, just this once."

I let out a wail as three more scorpion tails came out from my back. I was hunched over a bit and then I stood up, looking right into Amon's eyes. 

"You shouldn't have picked a fight with me," I said. "I told you, if you knew what was good for you, you should stay away. Now look at where we are!" I charged at him. 

He used his quinque for defense, but I was fast and I was getting some hits on him. With four tails now, it was easier to do damage to him. I kept slicing him in the legs, since they were a weak point on every thing that had legs. Once he was getting weak in the legs, I kicked him to the ground and stood over him.

"What's the matter, investigator? I thought you had some fight in you."

"That Kagune," he croaked out.

"You've seen if before, haven't you?"

"No, but I've seen reports of you."

I smirked underneath my mask. 

"It's a shame that you're not going to live to tell the tale of how your life was about to be sparred by a ghoul."

"Stop!" Kaneki yelled and tackled me to the ground. "Don't eat him!"

I looked into Kaneki's eye. They had a pleading look in them. I shoved him off of me and my Kagune disappeared. I looked back at Amon to see he was trying to get up. I looked back at Kaneki. He was too busy looking at Amon. I disappeared and got back on my perch. I took off my mask, but kept the addition on my eye.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, Kaneki," I said and remained on my perch.

A few moments later, Touka and Hinami were coming out from the tunnels, wait, when did Hinami get here? No matter. Kaneki had met up with Touka and Hinami. The three of them ran to where our meet up place was, which was underneath where I was perched. I took off the rest of my mask before jumping down to greet them.

"How did things go?" I asked.

"Fine. We'll discuss everything when we're back at Anteiku," Touka said and we made our way back.

"Something crazy happened, Touka," Kaneki said.

"What do you mean?"

"This ghoul came in and attacked the investigator I was facing."

"Did you see their face?"

"Not really. They were wearing something that covered their eye."

"Hmm, I see. Do you know where they went?"

"No idea."

"I see."

When we got back to Anteiku, Hinami went into her room to get some sleep. Kaneki headed back to his to get some rest while Touka and I stayed in the café to talk.

"You helped him, didn't you?"

"What was I going to do? Let Amon kill him?"

"He could have known your secret, Y/N. You need to be more careful," she said.

"I'm tired of hiding this from him. I get I had to hide it from him when it first happened, but now we're both half ghouls. If I know he's a half ghoul, he should know I am just like him."

"Y/N, think about what his reaction might be. He might be just as shocked as he was when he found out he was a ghoul."

"I'd rather him be shocked than him leave me for not telling him the truth. Friends need to be honest with one another. I'm not the one being honest here."

"What about your other friend?"

"Hide?"

"You two aren't being honest with him."

"We can't tell him we're ghouls. Hide might act irrationally."

"But you said friends need to be honest with one another."

"If we tell him we're ghouls, the CCG could be after him since he's friends with ghouls. You know how they are with humans and ghouls being together."

"I know, but if you're going to be honest with Kaneki, you need to be honest with your other friend, Y/N. Stop fooling yourself and just get it over with. Let them know the truth. Let them know who you are and don't be ashamed of being who you are."

"I am ashamed of who I am. I was once a normal girl living with her parents who worked hard. Sure they weren't around as often when they were working, but at least they were around. Now I have no clue where the hell they are. My life changed when I turned into a ghoul. My entire life flipped upside down and I can't flip it back."

"Maybe you can't, but maybe your friends can," Touka said and walked out of Anteiku.