Chapter 7

"Starting from now, a few friends of mine are here to stay for a while," Yoshimura called us into a room and told us what was going on.

"Ryouko Fueguchi and her daughter Hinami are going to be staying here due to Hinami's father, Asaki, is currently being hunted down by Jason himself. Asaki just wanted his wife and daughter to be safe. And this is the only safe haven that is provided for ghouls. I would appreciate it if you gave them a warm welcome to them, especially Hinami."

"Poor kid," I said to Kaneki as we were working in the back.

"Yeah. She must be going through such a hard time right now," Kaneki said.

"She's so young," I said. "Can you imagine that? Actually, you can."

"Yeah," Kaneki said, remembering his mother's death.

"Come on you two!" Koma said, knocking us on the back of our heads. "Get it together and get to work."

"Yes, Koma," we said and got back to working. 

Kaneki took a break and headed upstairs to see Hinami. I was still working while he was taking a break. He came rushing back downstairs and was breathing heavily. I looked around to see a few people were looking at him. I rushed over to him, opened the door and shoved him back towards the staircase. I walked into the small space and closed the door.

"Go back upstairs," I said.

We entered another room and Kaneki sat down.

"What made you think it was alright to come down there?" I asked.

"I-I'm sorry," Kaneki said.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I accidentally walked in on her while she was eating. There was blood everywhere," he said.

"I see," I sighed. "You should go apologize to her."

"Ok," he said.

"Hold it, might want to give her some coffee while you're at it."

"Right."

We walked back downstairs and Kaneki started to make Hinami a cup of coffee. He headed back upstairs and stayed up there for quite a while. Once my shift was finished, I headed upstairs and into the room where Hinami and her mother were going to be staying. I knocked before opening the door in case. I looked to see Kaneki was teaching Hinami a few words that were in her book. I smiled and walked over to them.

"Hi there," Hinami smiled at me.

"Hi, Hinami. I'm Y/N," I said and sat on one of the chairs.

"I'll be right back, Hinami," Kaneki said and walked out of the room.

Hinami looked at me with a sincere smile on her face, "I don't mean to be rude, but you smell funny."

"I do?" I asked.

"You smell like Kaneki," she said.

I looked at her and my face kind of fell. I slowly nodded my head and my right eye changed.

"Hinami, you can't tell, Kaneki," I said.

"Why?"

"He doesn't know."

"But he probably smells it on you," she said. "Ghouls have a strong sense of smell."

"You're right, but he's probably asking himself why I smell like that. He's kind of smart, but I don't think he's smart enough to figure it out."

"Why can't I tell him?"

"I've been a half ghoul for about a few months now and I still haven't had the guts to tell him."

"Why is that?" Hinami asked.

I just smiled at her, "I don't want to tell him in fear that he would yell at me for not telling him earlier. But when I turned into a half ghoul, he was still human. And I can't tell you the numerous times I had almost eaten him. But it's all under control now, for the most part."

"Is your Kagune strong?"

"I haven't really used it too much," I said. "I only use it when I need to."

"I see."

I nodded my head. Kaneki walked back into the room and helped Hinami with her words. Kaneki and I headed home once we saw that it was getting dark outside. We took off from Anteiku and headed back towards our homes.

"Hinami is something special alright," Kaneki smiled.

"You seem really good with her."

"She just wanted some help with some words that were in the book she was reading."

"Still, you were nice and patient with her. Like how a father should be," I said.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I'm just saying you're really good with children. That's all I'm saying," I smiled.

"Oh, thanks I guess. I was never really the type of person to get along with people my age. Except you and Hide."

"Yeah. But it seems you and Touka are finally getting along pretty well."

"That's going to take sometime," Kaneki chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. 

"Did you hear the news?" I asked.

"What news?"

"The Doves are entering the 20th ward."

"The Doves?"

"They're men who wear white suits and have briefcases with them. If you see them, go the other direction. Don't engage with them."

"Why's that?"

"They do terrible things to people," I said.

"What, hold on a minute. This is kind of coming out of no where. Why are the Doves coming to the 20th ward?"

"They're looking for two S rated class ghouls: Rize and Jason."

"Rize?" Kaneki asked.

"Yeah. They're looking for them and I just don't want you to get hurt."

"Why would I get hurt?"

"Like I said, Kaneki, they do terrible things to people."

"Wait why would they harm innocent civilians?"

"They just do sometimes," I said.

"Y/N, what aren't you telling me?" Kaneki asked.

I smirked at him, "Now you get it."

"Get what? You're not making any sense."

"My parents, they were Doves."

"They were?"

"They hunted down ghouls together and they killed a human before because they were harboring a ghoul."

"They seriously killed someone just because of that?"

"Yeah."

"Wow. It sounds like they really do do terrible things to people," Kaneki said. "Not just ghouls."

"So please, Kaneki, for our sakes, be careful."

"I'll try my best, Y/N."

"Thanks," I said and we continued walking.

Kaneki walked me to my house once more and I waved goodnight to him.

"Kaneki," I said before he turned to head to his house.

"Yes?"

"Please, be careful."

"I'll do my best. You should be careful as well, Y/N."

I walked into my room and opened up a notebook. It had some papers from my mother and father's file cabinets. And one of the files was on a ghoul known as Scorpio. The ghoul that made me who I am today. And he was an SS rated ghoul.