DJ Subatomic Supernova || Upon Deaf Ears

You've never heard music. Well, you haven't heard anything, really.

Being born deaf has its struggles, but you've worked around it pretty well.

And though you've never heard music, you can feel its rhythms and beats through your whole body. Letting it flow through you like water, its bouncing melodies soothing you.

That's why you moved to Vinyl City, the capital of music of all kinds.

The energy and the lights, the happy faces and dance moves, the beat and bass thumping through the ground. It was so lively, you couldn't help but smile every time you step foot out.

Specifically, you moved to the Cast Tech district because of the space theme and your love for planets (and aliens). It gave such a futuristic, cyberpunk vibe. You loved every centimetre of the place.

Strolling through your daily walk, a flash of light catches your attention. A news report of another one of DJ Subatomic Supernova's concerts after Bunk Bed Junction and NSR's head to head battle.

You pursed your lips in thought, it'd be a cool experience, especially with his Disco theme. It had plenty of bass, and it'd be a perfect way to see the inside of his planetarium.

After a few more blocks and a few minutes of muddling it over, you decided to go.

Heading over to the ticket area, you saw a massive line formed. There was no freaking way you'd get a ticket after that many people, but really wanting to see this show, you waited it out.

Person after person, the glimmer of hope faded from your eyes, there's no point now, there's no way.

Once to the point, you signed, 'Are there any more spots?'

The salesperson thankfully knew sign language and signed back a sad, 'Not many.'

Your frown gave away what little hope you had left, and you were about to turn to leave until the salesperson stopped you.

'There's plenty of Privilege Passes left though. They're more expensive but not too bad.'

Your whole face lit up like the entire city. You asked how much and they told you the price, you soon handed over the amount and them handing back the pass.

They signed a quick, 'If you wish, now that you have said pass, you can go see him. I can be your interpreter?'

You nodded and bowed to show how thankful you are.

You followed them in and your eyes widened and jaw dropped at the absolute beauty of it all. Planets swirled above, screens took up over half the wall space and the stage was massive! It's incredible!

While you were standing in shock and awe, you didn't realize that your now interpreter was far ahead of you.

You slowly spun to take it all in, then realizing how far ahead they were. You quickly sprinted up, smiling sheepishly as an apology.

'May I ask your name?' You signed, tilting your head.

They signed back, 'Call me Ezra.'

You nodded and they turned to talk to the DJ himself.

You could read Ezra's lips, "Sir, you have a Privilege Pass fan." They turned and asked your name.

'(Y/N).'

They repeated it to him.

He spun his huge chair around. You could tell he was talking based on his gestures but without a mouth, you had no clue what he was saying.

And your confused, blank face must have gave it away.

Ezra mentioned how you were deaf and you saw the light practically go off above him. He flopped back in his chair and tapped his "chin."

Ezra then said how they offered to be an interpreter and DJ cocked his head.

From then on, Ezra interpreted and signed what DJ said.

"How long have you been in Cast Tech?"

'A couple months, I moved here because of the feel of the music. . . and the space theme, I love everything space.'

"Oh? How perfect. How do you distinct each type of music from one another?"

'Oh, that's easy. Each genre has their own feel. EDM feels like energy, Rock feels like power, Classical feels like serenity, Rap feels like electricity, Metal feels like rage, Pop feels like joy, etc. I think it's fun feeling each one flow through and power me.'

"Hm, fascinating. You're an interesting person, (Y/N). I like you, you're better than most fans I've met."

'I am?? That's wonderful coming from one of my idols. If only I could hear you say that for myself...'

He then said something but Ezra didn't interpret, instead he ran off.

You wildly glanced between them, now scared of what's going on.

A gentle tap on your shoulder made you jump but you turned.

DJ was knelt on his stage holding out a hand. You placed your own on it, the size difference you found comical. He hoisted you up into the stage and sat down, letting his legs dangle over. He patted the spot next to him, and you hesitantly plopped down.

The way he tilted his head, you knew that was his way of smiling.

He then looked over to the door, you followed his gaze and saw Ezra- out of breath, needless to say- rushing back over. They had a small box in their hands.

They skidded to a halt, holding up a finger to give them a minute to catch their breath. Once good, they held up the box to you and you took it.

You opened it.

In it laid two hearing aids.

You stared at them with big eyes and Ezra gave you a gesture to try them out. They signed how they're advanced NSR specialties, the best of the best.

You took both out and placed them in your ears. With then shaky hands, you clicked them on.

Within an instant, the blast of Disco music blared into you. It filled every bit of your head, soaring through the rest of your body. A shiver went through your spine*, your entire body trembling.

Tears welled up in your eyes.

Another tap on your shoulder.

You turned to DJ.

"You said how you wished to hear my voice, and now? Now, you can hear everything."

Even more tears flowed from your eyes. His voice was deep and calming, but you expected no less.

Overjoyed, you flung yourself and hugged DJ, catching him off guard. He patted your back with a light snort of a laugh.

"Thank you." You said, hearing your own voice for the first time.

_________

*"Frisson, also known as aesthetic chills or musical chills, is a psychophysiological response to rewarding auditory and/or visual stimuli that often induces a pleasurable or otherwise positively-valenced affective state and transient paresthesia, sometimes along with piloerection and mydriasis (Wikipedia)."

So i don't quite know the levels of deafness too well, but I'm guessing this would probably be moderate to severe, probably more moderate because it can (not always) be helped with hearing aids.

And ngl I headcanon soft and dorky DJ. Just, he seems like a lovable dork, you can't convince me otherwise.

But I hope you enjoyed!

- Kat