Volume 2, Chapter 13: Children of the Night, Part 3

Hey, Yurushia here. I'm a little troubled at the moment.

"What should I do, I wonder...?"

I sipped the cold and bitter tea while surrounded by the considerably narrowed [Blackness].

That's right. I haven't moved an inch from that place.

Well, actually I moved a little bit, to release those kids, I wonder if they've managed to escape?

Being in this [Blackness], I can't tell what's happening outside.

All the same, my hypothesis was able to be validated, a little. The light from the [Light Spirits] isn't limited to only being [White]. Maybe to someone they recognize, [Light Spirits] can also be [Dark Spirits].

If that theory is right, holy magic should be able to use [Fear] just like [Dark] magic by the use of spirits.

Well, that's all good, what should I do now? I couldn't believe the Vampire-chans went off looking for me like fools.

All of you, you're surprisingly serious about this.

"It can't be helped... Should I just proceed?"

I'm a bit worried about those kids' situation.

I think that if they seriously run, they can succeed in escaping, but it's not my responsibility, you know?

You know, because I'm a demon.

"...Gugyo~"

In the mansion's hallway, I reflexively crushed together a maid vampire and a bowl with a clap.

I got a little startled.

Thanks to the fact that vampires turned into ash when they died, I thankfully didn't get dirtied with blood. Well, if it gets dirty, I can just use [Purification] and get clean again, but I'm glad that my dark blue dress won't get dirty in the first place since it might get [Bleached]

"... But, whatever."

Seriously, this mansion is huge...

How long and how much did that Count fill his pockets before moving here, this mansion is bizarrely big for a noble governing the countryside.

Or rather, I wonder if land is cheap in this territory...?

In the large mansion, there was a floor under the huge chapel. Rather than to a basement, the stairs I found a little while ago led to a wide cave.

Since there were about a thousand [Runts] in there, I only looked briefly, before returning.

The thing that attacked during the inspection must have been one of those things called [Runts]. Though they could move through sunlight, I don't feel like they're as powerful as a vampire.

It's a blessing that Noel and Bree-chan haven't figured out what their true identity was, either.

Really, those vampires are way too bad at hiding their [Presence] and [Smell]. From the moment they become a vampire, they saw themselves as [Strong], they indulged in their ability too much.

Learn a bit from the example of this weak demon and live modestly.

But really, there are too many vampires here... dozens of strong servants out in the field, and thousands of them are in here as well, how bothersome.

I'm an incompetent Demon with nothing but a ridiculous amount of magic power, after all.

Since even dozens of bodies can only summon a lesser demon if they're good, I can be at ease, to some extent, but since my summoning is almost fully self-taught, there is no compelling force, so the lesser demons are frightened and don't come out.