Kai- Learning From The Past

Kai was laying in bed as I sat on the edge of the other end of the mattress. It was a normal night like any other but my insecurities were really getting the best of me. It had been so long since I'd last been under the management of Master Chen but the idea that I even considered him a trustworthy leader to begin with was something I still cringe at myself for to this day.

It's been years since I've even seen his face. The last I saw of him was the tournament of elements. Since my time training by Master Chen's side was over, I've turned myself around, fighting in the name of good instead, even finding myself to become one with the ninja. And though I'm proud of my progress, I always have one constant reminder of my time as one of Chen's students.

My tattoo.

I gaze down at the purple ink that stained my skin that just so happened to be placed on my arm. Everyone who worked for Master Chen was given a tattoo of the same thing; a purple serpent. I never questioned it at the time but of course now I know why I really have this thing. It was all a part of Master Chen's scheme to turn his followers into serpentine. And though it was so long ago, I hate looking at this tattoo every day of my life and being reminded of it all.

I zone out for some time just looking at my own stained skin.

"You doing okay? You seem tense," Kai's voice runs through my ears as I perk up a little bit in response. I sigh as he gently runs his hand on my back trying to comfort me as he positions himself directly next to me.

"..." I sit in silence for a second, trying to find what to say. I look at him, then back to the tattoo. "You think I should save up to get it removed or something?" I ask.

"What?" Kai cocks his head.

"My tattoo..."

"Why would you do that?" He asks.

"Why wouldn't I? Master Chen made me get it. It's nothing but a reminder of my own stupidity," I groan.

"Yeah, but removing a tattoo that size would be extremely painful and expensive. Are you sure?" He looks up at me with concerned eyes.

"Well, to be honest..." I start as I look back at the tattoo, "ever since I got the damn thing I've considered just holding a lighter to my arm and burning it off," I hiss as I clench my fist.

"(Y/N)..."

"What?" I snap, unintentionally taking my anger out on him.

"It's really not as bad as you think it is," Kai tries to calm me.

"It's not about how it looks, it's about what it means," I sigh.

"Well you could say the same for yourself," Kai says.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I look at him as he rests a hand on my shoulder.

"What I mean is; it doesn't matter what's on the outside, but rather who you are inside. That tattoo is nothing but a stained piece of skin. What matters is that you're a good person now and that's all in the past, right?" He smiles.

"No," I sigh, "you don't understand what it's like to fuck up this bad and be reminded of it everyday of your life," I say as my voice cracks.

"Yes I do," Kai raises his voice.

"What could you have possibly done?" I ask in disbelief.

"Do you not remember when I was controlled by my ego? How I was so desperate to be the green ninja that I put everyone else at risk?" Kai asks with urgency, "do you not remember any of that?"

"Well, yeah, but no one would even remember it unless you brought it up," I huff, "and it's not like you have some physical reminder stuck by your side all your life," I point to the tattoo.

"Yes, I do, (Y/N), you don't get it. I'm reminded of it everyday because I see the green ninja every. Day," he nearly yells, "seeing Lloyd eveeyday makes me regret how I treated everyone else just because I was so desperate to be in his position. Everytime I look at that green gi, it's all I think," he sighs as he looks away.

"Just because it's not a part of me, it doesn't mean I still don't see it and think about it," he mumbles.

"Kai..." I reach out to him.

"No... I'm... I'm sorry for yelling. I do know what it's like. I should be less harsh on you about it," he still refuses to look at me.

"No, you're right. It's something both of us need to work on," I say.

"Work on what?" He finally looks up at me.

"We need to work on putting the past behind us. I'm not a bad guy anymore and you're not mad about not being the green ninja, right?" I ask as I lay my hand on his.

"Well, yeah, but-"

"Then we can better ourselves... to-together?" I blush as I rub the back of my neck.

"Yeah," he chuckles, "together."

Kai returns the grip on my hand and leans in and gives me a small kiss on the cheek. I just laugh and kiss him back.

I giggle, then sigh dreamily. "I love you," I let out.

"I love you, too," he requites, "and uh, by the way," he starts with a smirk, "I always thought the tattoo looked kinda cute on you," he playfully bites his lip.

"Oh, so I should keep it?" I raise a brow and chuckle at him.

"Well, I mean, you can do what you want, but I'd definitely miss it," he jokes and the both of us laugh.

I give him one small kiss on the lips before cupping his face in my hand.

"We should get to bed," I sigh.

"You're right," Kai agrees but instead of laying down, he just looks down at my arms and rubs my tattoo, looking at it carefully.

"All jokes aside, you can get rid of it if you really want to. It'll probably leave a scar, though," he says.

"No, no, you were right. I need to deal with my own mistakes. If I don't acknowledge my own errors, how will I even learn from them, right?" I smile.

"Right!" He smiles back.

"Well," Kai leads himself back to his side of the bed, "we should get some sleep."

"You're right," I agree, "goodnight... I love you."

"I love you too."

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Heeeeyy.
Sorry for not updating for so long. It's another short chapter but writers block has really hit me for my oneshot books. This is just something short and simple to get me back in the mood of things. Now that I've updated this book I'll probably update the other oneshot book then upload a longer chapter in this one. That's the plan, anyway. Hope you all liked it. Feel free to leave requests, though I'm not exactly sure how long it'll take me to do them.