Cole- My Color {Soulmate AU}

Before we begin this chapter, I'm going to let you know that this is a very simple AU that you've probably seen before. It's the colorblind soulmate AU. If you're unfamiliar with soulmate AUs, there's lots of them out there. The idea is that there's something connecting two characters in one way or another that lets them know whether or not they've met their soulmate. Some common soulmate AUs are the red string of fate, colorblind until meeting your soulmate, or your soulmate's name or initial is written somewhere on the skin. These AUs are in pretty much every fandom. And I typically think entire stories revolving around them are pretty cheesey, but this is just a single one shot. It's more tolerable in moderation.

Anyway, on with the chapter. (Also, sorry for not posting since September whoops.)

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

I lay alone on my couch watching nothing but mindless television, as I have been for the past few hours. Every so often I eat a spoonful of ice cream without even taking my eyes off the screen. Life has really been getting to me lately. I'm not normally brought down by the fact that I can't see color or that I don't have a soulmate, but one of my closest friends just found their soulmate. They were the only friend of mine left to do so and I've just been kind of disappointed that I'll be the last to see color out of all of my friends.

I'm in my 20s and I still haven't found my soulmate...

All of my friends make it look so easy. It's like they just go outside and bump into some random stranger, and then boom. Soulmates. If only it were that easy for me.

I'm not sure if I'm most upset by my loneliness or the lacking ability to see color. Some days I feel so alone that it's like I could go deaf from the silence in my own apartment. I can hear my ears ring from the empty silence and it drives me crazy. And on the other hand all I can see is black and white. I hear everyone describing how beautiful all of the colors are once they meet that special someone. How they never imagined there to be so many. When we're young, we're taught red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. But I've heard that colors are actually a spectrum. That each color has nearly infinite variations. And colors can mix to create brand new hues and tones.

Did you know that some colors can make you feel certain things? I've heard that blue is a cold, sad color. While red is firey and passionate... I just wish I could see it.

There's so much I'm missing out on. I feel like I could cry by just how lonely and dull my life is. I spend my time online reading about what colors look like. And watching TV wondering what color everything is on my screen. It's like a guessing game that I'll never know the answers to. A game I can't win.

All I've been doing for the past few weeks is eating my feelings in icecream and other junk food. I sit up and put the lid back on the icecream and I decide to put it back in the freezer. I need to eat real food.

I groan as I stand up from the couch and stretch my arms before sluggishly dragging myself to the kitchen. I open the freezer and toss the carton back in before opening the fridge to look at my food options...

Or more of lack of food options. All I have is about a quarter gallon of expired milk, half a head of wilted lettuce, three whole slices of lunch meat turkey, and some other scraps that I put in the fridge to eat later that I forgot about and are definitely way past being good. I close the fridge and sigh.

I haven't been shopping in at least a week and a half. And that's about as long as I've been wallowing in my own pity. My friends are all right. I need to go outside more often...