16: Phone Call

PHONE CALL:Spencer contemplated, taking into account the advice JJ gave him

PHONE CALL:
Spencer contemplated, taking into account the advice JJ gave him.

"Spence, I've know you for years now. You're deserving of someone who knows when to let you go. Make it known that you need answers."

He didn't think that Solana was leading him on, but she surely wasn't jumping up and down to be with him. Of course, she didn't owe him a relationship. But she did say that eventually she might be ready... and Spencer hoped she was being truthful.

He fiddled with his phone, swiveling it between his fingers. JJ advised him to communicate with his mystery woman, and he was considering doing so. However, it was late on a Saturday night. For all he knew, Solana could be out and about with Penelope. Or, she could already be sleeping. Either way, he wasn't certain she would pick up his call.

What was the worst that could happen? She answers, and Spencer somehow musters up the confidence to stand his ground. Or, she doesn't answer, and he'll have to wait longer. Neither outcome was excellent nor terrible. So, he threw all caution to the wind, opened up his contacts app, and dialed her number. Obviously he had her phone number memorized— he has an eidetic memory.

The daunting ringing sound made him tense up. It rang once, than twice, than three times— he was unsure she would pick up. Suddenly, on the fourth ring, he hears her voice,

"Hey, what's up?" Solana answered, her voice somewhat muffled.

"Sorry, did I-uh wake you up?"

"No, no."

"Oh, ok, good." He could heat faint background noises through the phones

"So what can I do for you?" She asked.

"Um... can we talk? If now is an okay time."

"Of course."

He sighed nervously, "Look, recently I've been feeling like this isn't moving nearly as fast as I expected. In fact, it's moving extremely slow."

"By this, do you mean us?"

"Yeah, if there even is an us."

"Spence, I like you. You're a great guy. But, I'm just not ready to be tied down."

"It's been months. I thought you would've at least considered it."

"I did— I do. I think about you all the time, Spence. It's just, a friendship is more valuable than a relationship in my eyes. I don't want to ruin what we have." She said.