Chapter 12

I didn't have any clothes to sleep in, so Lucas let me borrow a t-shirt and sweatpants that I had to roll about 30 times to get to fit.

He had a king sized bed and he wasn't going to be anywhere near mobile for the night, so I agreed when he offered to let me sleep in the bed, knowing I'd be able to stay far away on the other side for the night. 

I got him situated, making sure he was propped up enough so he wouldn't choke or anything and then shut off the lights before climbing into bed on my own. 

It was quiet for a bit as I went through my phone, sending a text to my mom to tell her I was staying the night at Maya's. I felt awful lying to my parents, but there was no way I could tell them that I was staying at the house of the girl that I babysit, especially considering I'd had to tell her I was hanging out with Maya after the football game. 

I jumped when my phone started ringing just after I'd sent the text to my mom. But it wasn't her that was calling, it was Cole.

Lucas looked over and saw who it was, "Why is he calling you at 12:30 in the morning on a Friday?" Lucas asked. 

"Do you think I fucking know?" I snapped before answering the phone, raising it to my ear. 

"Hello?" I asked. 

"ARIEL!" Cole yelled, making me jump and pull the phone away from my ear, "yayyyyy it's youuuuuuuu." he slurred out, indicating that he was extremely drunk. 

"It is me. How has your night been Cole?" I asked, a smile playing at my lips. 

"We WON," he exclaimed, "but you weren't there and you didn't call Maya back." he said, sounding sad. 

"I'm sorry. Something came up. But how about I go to the game next week? Then I can see the whole thing." I said.

"Oh! Yes! GUYS SHE'S GONNA COME NEXT WEEK!" he yelled to whoever was with him on the other line, and I could hear a few whoops of excitement.

"We miss youuuu you're like alwayssss working." Cole said.

"Yeah I miss you guys too. But we'll all hang out soon don't worry. It's pretty late, I'm going to head to bed, but you guys have fun okay?" I asked, wanting to end the conversation. 

"You're LAME it's so early I'm not even tired," he scoffed, "but fine. Goodnight Arielllll." he sang.

I smiled, "Goodnight Cole." I said before hanging up the phone.

"Thank God I was scared that was gonna take forever I'm trying to sleep." Lucas said. 

I scoffed, "Oh I'm so sorry me taking a few minutes to speak to my friend is inconveniencing you after I just spent my night babysitting your little sister, babysitting you while you blew off steam because your dad pissed you off, and then saving your ass in a three versus one fight." I countered.

Lucas was quiet for a second, "Thanks, by the way." he said quietly.

"For what?" I asked. 

"For saving my ass. And for coming with me when I dragged you along." he said.

I shrugged and put my phone on the charger on the nightstand, "It's what friends do." I said. 

"Yeah well I guess I've just never had friends willing to do stuff like that before." he said.

I was quiet, "Neither have I." I replied. 

Lucas scoffed, "Oh please, you have those three guys wrapped around your finger. They would find out how to walk on water if it would make you happy." he said.