Chapter 2

The rest of my morning was pretty peaceful. Lucas did not appear in any of my classes before lunch. Miles was in another class as well, which happened to be right before lunch.

He led me to the cafeteria after I'd gotten my lunch from my locker. I hadn't had the school food before, and wanted to scope it out before diving right in.

The cafeteria was huge, and filling up steadily when I walked in with Miles.

As we walked past tables, headed towards an empty one, people would stare at me as I went, then turning to their friends and whispering. I kept my face even and continued walking until Miles picked a table and I sat down at it.

He gave me a look, "So...people really do seem to know you huh?" he asked me with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes, "I wouldn't go as far to say they know me so much as they know of me. There's a difference." I said before opening my lunchbox and pulling out the bag of pretzels.

Miles just gave me an amused look, "You know, you're pretty cryptic." He said.

I smirked and shrugged again, "It's more fun that way." I said simply.

A few seconds later, two chairs were pulled away from the table and two people sat in them.

I looked up and saw two new faces staring at me. It was two guys who were definitely friends with Miles.

The one on the left had tanned skin and dark hair, with dark brown eyes to match. The one on the right had the classic blue eyes and blonde hair. Both of them had smirks on their face and what appeared to be curiosity in their eyes.

They stayed quiet as they shamelessly stared at me, "Can I help you?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm sure you can. But I'll start with your name." The one on the left said , smirking confidently.

I didn't react to his initial comment, "You already know my name." I said simply, eating another pretzel.

He quirked an eyebrow, "And how would you know whether or not I do?" he asked.

I shrugged, "I just know. But, what I don't know are your names." I said.

The one on the right smirked, "I like her. I'm Cole. And the wise-ass over there is Tyler. And you obviously know our friend Miles." He said.

"Yes, I obviously know Miles." I said with a smile.

I was quiet as I thought to myself about Cole and Tyler. I'd assumed they were friends with Miles, since they had said that, which meant they'd probably have sat with him at lunch whether I was there or not. And I didn't think I had gone to middle school with them, since they didn't seem to remember me, or even know me.

This would definitely be interesting.

"So, Ariel. What brings you to Baker Hill high School?" Cole asked, breaking the silence.

"I used to go to school at East Middle, and then I left right before high school. Now I'm back." I said, repeating what I had said to Miles that morning.

"Why did you leave?" Tyler asked.

I just gave him a look, "It was time for a change." I said simply, definitely not going to tell him all of the details.

"So then why did you come back?" Cole spoke up.

I smirked, going for another cryptic response, "Change is only fun if you keep making it." I said.

Miles chuckled, shaking his head before taking a bite out of a french fry, "Okay now I really like her." Cole spoke and I laughed lightly.

Just then, a girl came up to the table and sat down next to miles. She was very tan with dark hair. She had bright golden eyes and a wide smile.