seventeen

JJs POV

I look back forward straight away, praying Kie didn't see me looking at her. Again. This is not normal. No sane person would look at someone, even their crush, for more than five times knowing that they are in close proximity of seeing you. Didn't this happen while we were watching Sleeping Beauty? But that whole day was generally weird as fuck to be honest. And she did watch me while I was sleeping that one time....

But either way I still look like a creep so I'm gonna chose to sit in silence, like we have been for like 40 minutes. It's starting to get dark now and I pray to God that Pope's dumb ass doesn't drive us into a lake. If you couldn't tell already, he isn't very street smart. Or emotionally smart. But he is a book smart genius so I won't bash on him too hard, since I don't posses any of the three.

Luckily, my fears aren't met as I hear Pope break the silence and say "Guys we're only ten minutes away!"

"Okay.", Kie and I say in unison. We quickly meet eyes but turn back because of...ya know.

After ten minutes, we miraculously see our neighboring Pogue houses and I feel safe in a weird, twisted way. I know that I should search again for Sarah and John, but they could've just left for the trip early. But then they'd come back wondering where the fuck we were. Okay, you know what, i'm gonna worry about this later because right now I need to be in the presence of my father which is not very welcoming.

He seemed calm when I called him to say that I was gonna randomly leave to Virginia. Maybe too calm...
My dad had no problem with me leaving, he was probably thrilled that his piece of shit son was gone.

I see that we have reached Kies house in Kook land. Such nice places, with families that seem so happy. I then think of how different life was just two months ago. I mean, John and I have been best friends since third fucking grade. And in an instant, his whole world got turned upside down, and so did ours. Sometimes I feel guilty, with how greedy I was. When John mentioned the chance of his dad being alive I just immediately thought of money and how it could help me. I do need the money to move out of my dads house, but Johns dad is dead, and I was selfish about it. I was also super selfish with the whole rebelling against Pope and Kie thing. They didn't know what I felt and I didn't even bother to tell them. I just let them suffer like how I was. I still kinda am sad about Kie never liking me back, but I chose to oppress it instead of letting it eat me alive. One day, I'll explode but I'm not gonna let it happen anytime soon.

But anyways, Kie solemnly waves us goodbye and I'm left with Pope and it's still awkward. Did I do something i'm not aware of? There should not be this much tension between best friends. It's just, off. Fuck, I sacrifice liking Kie for Pope, and it's still weird between us.

I decide to man up and start conversation, but Pope beats me to it, saying "And here we are! Talk to ya later man" I turn around and see my house...with the lights on.

This isn't what I meant when i said I wanted Pope and I to start talking. I say goodbye  and get out of the car to stare at my doom.

It's a known fact at the Maybank house that the lights are off by 11. I check my phone, and its 11:10. Maybe he fell asleep on drugs and forgot to turn it off???? I'm gonna convince myself that that's true so I won't deal with any more confrontation than I need to. Remember when I held a gun to Toppers head at that party on the beach? That's what my house is like any time I cause a minor inconvenience.

I slowly but surely enter the front door, hoping that he's not passed out in the couch. I lock, turn back around and I don't see him there. That means he's in his room sleeping, shockingly. I sigh as relief knowing that he wasn't lying to me about not being okay with my temporary leave. It's not like he takes care of me anyways.

I pick up my shit and walk towards the stairway.  The place honestly looks so much worse since I left. Trash is everywhere with 10000 cigarettes buds laying around. I hen is he gonna realize that junking creates less mess? Dumbass. But anyway, I should stop staring at the couch and walk to the stairway. I then look into the next room and see something move in the form of a shadow.
Weird.
I walk, enjoying but hating home at the same time.

I then feel some sort of pull on my bags. Interesting.
I turn around to see my father, staring me into the eyes. Before I get to process anything, he shoves me straight into the wall and holds his hands firmly around my neck and applies pressure.

"You seriously thought you were gonna get away with this JJ?"

"Da..plea-"

"Shut the FUCK up for once." He starts tightening his hands around my neck and i'm struggling to breathe.

"We're gonna have a long um...talk about this. Be prepared JJ, to receive payback to possibly make up your shitty existence." He finally lets me go and walks up and into his bedroom and I grab my bags and I aim to Kies house.

Yes, this makes no sense. Yes, I am gonna show up unannounced looking like I haven't slept in a year. Actually, I heard girls like that now, so I shouldn't be to insecure about that. But this is just a quick escape from my crazy dad because John isn't here to house me.

That is the reason, right? There's nothing special about Kies house or her really. If i say it in my head enough it'll come true I just know it. Honestly, it isn't just shelter I want to have right now.

It's her.