"Where are you going?" Wilbur asks me as I rip a brush hastily through tangles of hair before tying it off into loose pigtails.

I pause and look at his reflection through the vanity mirror. "Wherever it takes."

I pick up my worn messenger bag and throw it over my shoulder. I slip on my new knee-high brown boots, lacing them tightly, and make my way to the elevator quickly with Wilbur on my heels. I jam the call button with my thumb and tap my foot impatiently while Wilbur protests my leaving. Charlie comes into the hall wearing day clothes and a curious expression.

"Dawn, where are we going? Where's Will?" He plants his feet beside me and takes my hand. The elevator doors open.

"Nowhere. I'm right here."

There's a moment of stillness where Will and I just look at each other. He did exactly what I told him not to do. He went and found Nigel. Will reaches forward, gently slides my bag from my shoulder, tosses it over his own, and finally breaks eye contact. He places careful hands on Charlie's shoulders and steers him back down the hall.

"Nothing to worry about, my young chocolatier. What do you want for breakfast?" Will asks. Charlie's eyes light up.

"Pancakes! The purple ones! With fudge chocolate chips!" Charlie takes his hand and pulls him down the hall to our room with the kitchen. "Can I help make them?"

"Of course you can," Will responds. He turns and gives me an apologetic look. I purse my lips and shake my head.

Wilbur comes up beside me. "See? I told you there was nothing to worry about. He was probably just doing some early morning work."

I know for a fact it was not just some early work, and I'm not about to pretend I don't know he had hoped to be back before I was awake. I didn't see any blood on him and he didn't appear to be hurt. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Don't get me wrong, I'm relieved he's ok, but this better be the last time I have to question that. I finally follow after the others and find Will getting out ingredients as Charlie retrieves a big spoon for the bowl on the counter.

I glare at my messenger bag Will had set by the foot of our circular bed and pace towards the kitchen island with folded arms. Will sets Charlie to add a few ingredients to the bowl and comes over to envelop me in his arms from behind. I let him, but I don't return the affecion.

I sigh. "Did you find him?"

Will gives me a slight squeeze. "Did you doubt I would?"

"What did you do to him?" I pull away enough to turn around and look him in the eye. I have to know. There's no question about it, this has gone on too long. I don't want to tie him down, I don't want our marriage to feel like a hindrance to Will, but at the same time, I have an obligation to protect Will from this dark path and he has an obligation to at least listen to me.

He looks away and shakes his head. "Do you really want to know?"

"Will! Stop that!" I shout. Charlie immediately looks up, and I lower my voice conscientiously, talking in something akin to a growl. "Give me a straight answer, and stop that."

Will looks away again. "Stop what? What am I doing?"

"William Theodore." I take his chin in my hand and make him look at me, still speaking in a low tone. "You know exactly what you are doing. Stop answering me with more questions, and give me a real answer. Did you-"

"Trouble in paradise?" I turn to see Mum standing in the doorway with one eyebrow raised at us.

I drop my hand and resist the urge to lash out at my mother. This isn't her fault, she didn't tell Will to go after Nigel. She doesn't even know about Nigel. I chew on my bottom lip and look back at Will. "Of course not."