Taking Out The Trash

Charlie holds my hand and tugs me forward, wanting to make sure we don't fall back in the small cluster of people. Mr. Salt steps forward with an arrogant amount of pride and smiles smugly. Will rolls his eyes so covertly, I don't think anyone else saw. I suppress a smile and hug the coats tighter to me, feeling the warm material press against my protruding ribs. "Ah, this is a room I know all about!" He seems happy to have found a room where he won't be an intellectual disadvantage. "You see, Mr. Wonka, I am in the nutsorting business." He hands his card to Will while gazing fondly at the door, waiting for it to be opened.

Will takes the card and throws it over his shoulder, not even glancing at it. I giggle and Will looks happily at me out of the corner of his eye.

Mr. Salt looks in my direction, then focuses on Will as he picks out the right key. "Are you using the Hammermax 4000 to do your sorting?"

Will pauses, then turns to the man, confused. I've never heard of the 'Hammermax 4000' either. I mean who names a machine that and who bothers themself with that information anyway? Apparently, Will feels similarly. "No...you're really weird."

There's an awkward beat, then Will pushes open the door and stands in front of it, holding it open. The Salts rush in excitedly and the Teevees follow aggressively, not to be left behind, and I gently guide Charlie in ahead of me. I feel Will's eyes glued to me with a happy grin on his mouth. I look up and smell the warm, smooth chocolate scent I've come to associate with Will. You'd think a chocolate factory smells like chocolate everywhere, and that's what I thought until the boat ride. That's when I realized the silky chocolate smell wasn't everywhere, it just follows Will. It clings to him like a layer of clothing. I wonder if that's a result of working with the stuff for so long or if that's just the natural smell of him. Or maybe it's both. Either way, I like it.

Will sweeps the door closed behind me with a tiny click. I pace forward with Charlie and see we're standing on a platform above a circular room. The room is pale blue and white and I stand on tiptoe to see what's below us. What can I say? I'm a petite person and petite includes short. My efforts are in vain though because there's just not enough space for me. Even Charlie weaseled his way to the front, and I can hear his giggles of delight. Turns out I don't need to see what's down there because two seconds later Veruca calls out in glee, "Squirrels!"

Now this I have to see. I try once more, going on tip toes again and going to the sides of the bunch. I see glimpses of fur and can hear a mixture of sounds. Lots of cracking and scrapping and clacks. Annoyance rises in me, and I sense Will at my back and feel his displeasure at my being left out. He clears his throat loudly, making everyone turn.

"Yes, squirrels. These squirrels are specially trained to get the nuts out of their shells. And to attack if you get too close..." he says ominously. Everone takes two giant steps back very hesitantly. They all stare at him with wide eyes, frightened and curious at the prospect, wondering why. Something in my gut tells me he's not telling the truth. Something in me tells me that he just wanted to let me see. I blush, that was sweet. I'm going soft. Gross.

I see a few bushy tails and am filled with more excitement than caution. Still, I look to Will first. He nods his chin toward the edge, motioning for me to have a look. I pace slowly to the rail and place my hands on it lightly. The sight before me is magical.

About a hundred squirrels line the room each at a little station. Walnuts roll down a tube and they pick them up in their tiny hands, knock on it and hold it to their ears. Testing for bad nuts. Brilliant! They shell the nuts and throw the shells behind them and release the nut down another spiralling ramp. I let a gasp escape my lips and my heart flutters at the magic before me. Squirrels don't do that. But here they do. Grass does not taste good. But here it does. A race of small identical men doesn't exist. But here they do. I don't smile. But here I do. This is a magical place. I wish I could never leave.