32. the truth

"IS that..."

"It isn't. It can't be." Marley's heart dropped to her stomach, slowing the car to a crawl in the Bears' personal parking lot, where - because she's driving Aiden's car - she's allowed to park during the game.

Because of how exhausted he seemed today, she brought his car so they could drive back to his apartment later where she would hopefully be convincing him into bed early.

But there is offically a very large chance that Marley will not be sharing that bed with him tonight.

It was dark enough now that only the headlights highlighted his stoic expression, the broadness of his shoulder pads and his arms folded over his jersey-clad chest as he stood beside an empty spot closest to the stadium - full uniform sans helmet and gloves. That meant his coach had surely given him hell for leaving his team right before a game, something he decided this time was worth the scolding.

Oh she is so in trouble.

Marley's hands shook on the wheel as she completely let her foot off the gas. Ayla looked away from Aiden's form a dozen spots ahead, "Marley-"

"Oh my gods. He knows. He knows," she rambled, her heart thumping wildly in his chest. "I mean, I knew he'd find out. I knew he'd be told eventually, but I thought I would be the one to tell him. And maybe leave some things out. Have an action plan, like he'd be spooning me beforehand to soften the blow. Oh gods. What if Marco said something? What if he's in trouble? Oh lords. Oh my-"

"Marley!" Ayla cut in, gesturing to the brake petal she had stomped down on. "Why did you stop? We're in the middle of the parking lot."

Her wide hazel eyes were deadlocked on his form still standing in the same spot, patiently waiting for her. No tapping foot. No bouncing knee and not even fiddling fingers.

Oh she is so, so terribly in trouble.

"I-um," her palms began to sweat, "I think I'm...I think I'm going to throw up."

"Why?" Ayla pressed, "It's just Aiden."

"N-no, it's Disappointed Aiden. The most upsetting Aiden," she explained shakily, still unable to tear her eyes off him as her knuckles whitened around the wheel. "And he knows everything. He knows about my talk with his coach. He knows about the s-stupid camp-out. He knows about Marco. He knows everything-"

"How can he know everything?" Ayla consoled. "Who could've told him all that information in less than a day? You're overreacting. For all you know, him being here has nothing to do with any of that stuff."

Marley shook her head, over and over, certain that Ayla's assumption was wrong without a shadow of a doubt. When it comes to Aiden, Marley just...knows, this kind of thing. She feels it, like a sixth sense.

She also feels like she might need to start breathing in a paper bag in a minute. "Somehow he knows. Marco and or his coach told him. He knows, Ayla. He knows I did all the things he didn't want me to do and then some."

"Um, reverse. I can drive if you want me to," Ayla rushed out. "Don't be afraid, I can even call Greyson if you want. Ellie could definitely take him, though."

Momentarily distracted from her mind-storm of anxieties, Marley turned to Ayla, confused. "Ellie could take who?"

"Aiden," she said in a rush. "She honestly scares Austin and he's like...half-giant. Now quick, can you drive or should I?"

"Why would Ellie have to 'take him?'" Marley frowned, trying to catch up to whatever part of this conversation she missed.

Ayla turned back to look at her. "Because you look completely terrified of him right now. Marley, I wish I would've known. You don't have to go through this alone and I can help you."