Chapter 37- Mission Time

You awoke groggily the next morning to the sound of whispering, along with the feeling of someone shaking you awake. You mumbled and grumbled as your eyes slowly opened, bringing your hands up to rub the sleepiness out of your eyes as the cogs in your brain started to turn. "Hey, kiddo, wake up." Blinking, your eyes adjusted to see Scout was the one waking you up. "What's up? What do you want?" You tiredly rasped out the question, wanting nothing but to fall back asleep. "Get dressed, we're heading to the pickup local in five." You were wide awake now, quickly sitting up as adrenaline rushed through your veins, urging you to get out of bed and get dressed. Climbing down from the bed, you murmured an "okay" as you hurried over to your backpack, collecting the outfit you had made specifically for today. It was the same one you had worn the first day, but you had packed some extra things like a utility belt, tactical gloves, and some pads for your elbows and knees, in case you got scraped up. Collecting up the outfit, you turned to see Scout heading into the front section of the camper, turning back to you once he had gotten to the door. "Knock when you're done changin'." You nodded to him, to which he then closed the door, allowing you to change in private. Stripping down to your undergarments, you rushed as you pulled on your outfit, only slowing down once you were pulling on the tactical gear you had brought. Pulling on your boots, you tied them tightly and went over to your pack, taking out your knife and Swiss Army knife. You placed the Swiss Army knife in one of your belt's pouches and slipped the pocket knife into your boot for safekeeping. Finally done changing, you knocked on the passenger door and opened it to see the three mercenaries talking in a hushed tone. When you entered the premises, they only glanced at you before turning back to one another, the focus mainly being on Sniper. Their expressions differed immensely. Sniper had a grave and serious expression, his posture tense and stiff. Scout wore an anxious smile, tapping against his leg as he chewed some gum, appearing to be apprehensive and ready to get going. Soldier had a chilling grin plastered on his face, his eyes hidden underneath his helmet as he stood there with more excited mannerisms. Sniper spoke after the two other mercenaries had turned back to him, Soldier saying something under his breath to Sniper to which he nodded hesitantly. Sniper sighed, speaking in a serious tone. "You two ready?" The mercenaries all nodded to each other, Soldier and Scout then leaving the front seating. You took this as a signal for you to sit in the front seat, but as you went to the passenger seat Sniper stopped you, shaking his head. "Sorry Roo, you gotta hang out in the back for this." You were going to question Sniper about his decision, but the reasoning quickly clicked within your mind as you nodded to him, walking out of the front section of the van as Sniper started up the camper. You went over to the table, going to the bench to sit and lean against the wall, legs strung out along the length of the bench pointing out. As you rested your elbow against the table, Soldier came up to you with an unreadable expression. You looked up at the man, a curious expression on your face that quickly turned to shock as he brought a pistol out from behind his back. You sat up, scooting towards the man and the weapon with an awed expression. "Be careful pumpkin. Only use this if you absolutely need to." You nodded, carefully taking the gun from his grasp as you checked it out, making sure it's safety was on and was fully loaded. 12 bullets. You took note of the fact it was the same type of pistol as the ones you often trained with. You holstered the gun within your belt, feeling along it to get used to its weight on your side.

Soldier hesitated to leave, putting a hand on your head to ruffle your hair. "Don't show mercy." Staring into Soldier's eyes, he stared back as you took in the meaning of the words that he had just spoken to you. Sighing, you nodded. "I'll try." He gave you a reassuring smile, giving you one last pat on the head as he left to the front seat to be by Sniper's side. You took a deep breath, trying to calm your rising anxiety as you readjusted your position, taking out your Swiss Army knife to fidget with. It was then that Scout came over, sitting on the bench across from you. As he sat, you noticed that he had a bat on his back, a sidearm on his hip, and had rested a scattergun against the outside of the bench. He got comfortable in his spot, leaning his arms against the table as he began to make small talk. "So... beach was fun, wasn't it?" He let out a nervous laugh as you smiled, holding in a small laugh at his awkwardness. "Yeah, it was nice. I hope we get to do stuff like this again." Scout smiled, relieved that you weren't a complete anxious wreck. "Yeah, I hope so too kiddo." Even though you looked calm on the outside, your body was going into a full-on panic mode. Anxiety pumped through your veins, the sound of your heart beating filling your ears. Okay, I need to stop panicking. If this goes on any longer, I'm gonna have a panic attack or something, and that would be really fuckin' bad. Agh, it's just- FUCK. What if something happens? What if the failsafe does something bad? What if it just straight up doesn't work? Well, if I'm lucky, I won't have to use it, and from what has been talked about, it's likely that I won't. But even if I do have to, it'll be fine. I've tested it. But what if you haven't trained it enough to be useful in an actual battle? Don't you remember what Spy told you? You thought back to the man's words, remembering what he had said about how you should train your failsafe. You furrowed your brows anxiously, gripping the knife in your hand tightly. Maybe I should have listened to him... You sat there, only saying something when Scout prompted you to as he talked on and on about whatever came to mind, those conversation topics mainly being about himself. You didn't mind too much though, since it was actually helping with your anxiousness a little. Most of this time you spent within your head though, overthinking every little aspect of your mistakes and the possibilities of something going wrong.