Chapter 13- Midnight Snack

Your watch's alarm went off, signaling that it was time for dinner. Closing your journal and laying your blanket onto your bed, you exited your room and made your way to the kitchen. You were early, and it showed since the time on your watch said there was still 6 minutes until dinner. You peeked into the kitchen and saw that Engineer was talking to Spy. Apparently Spy was making dinner, since he was at the stove cooking up something that smelled really good. You decided to wait until more people came to eat, so you went back to the rec room and sat down on one of the couches. Demo and Soldier sat on the sofa next to you, chatting away, while Sniper rested with his hat down on a single-seater sofa, and Pyro sat on the ground criss-cross applesauce in front of a sofa and was playing with a lighter. Pyro was the only one to have noticed your arrival, giving you an enthusiastic wave as you sat down. You waved back with a smile on your face, getting comfortable within your seat. You sat back and looked around to see Sniper casting a glance at you from underneath his hat. Raising a playful brow at him, you gave him a sort of silly questioning look, causing him to look away and bring his hat down, further covering his face. A part of you could have sworn you had seen him smile for a moment. You were in a good mood, and with that was the weird surge of confidence that came with that joy.

It wasn't long before the rest of the mercenaries had arrived and Spy announced that dinner was ready. There were bowls set out, and on the stove sat a large pot of soup. Next to it, there were small, oval-shaped slices of bread with cheese on top laid out on a plate. Filling up your bowl with the soup, you took a piece of bread and set it on top of the soup, since you had seen Spy do the same thing. I mean, he was the one who cooked this, so he should know best when it comes to his own cooking, right? You shrugged and grabbed a spoon and sat down, but not before deciding that you wanted a glass of water. Luckily, this time the glasses were closer to the edge of the cabinet than they had been before, so you were able to obtain it without climbing the countertop. Filling the glass with water, you sat down in your usual chair and began to eat. It was really good, and mainly consisted of onions, but cheesy bread was definitely the best part of the meal.

Dinner this time around felt different to you. Everyone was a lot less focused on you, and they were all talking to each other, making the kitchen fill with the sounds of their chatter. Even though you had very little input in any of their conversations, save for the few times Scout would talk to you, you felt better than you had the day before. There wasn't any sort of tenseness or awkwardness, just a little hint of nervousness, which was really because a part of you wanted to try and join in on a conversation, but your confidence only went so far. Either way, you were pretty content with the moment, and very satisfied with your meal. A few of the mercenaries finished and left for their rooms or the rec room, and after some time you finished your meal as well. You cleaned your bowl and refilled your glass, deciding to take it with you back to your room. While passing some of the mercenaries in the rec room on the way to your room, you waved to them and headed back to your room. You closed the door behind you and set your glass down on your desk as you sat in your chair. Taking out your journal, you made another quick journal entry before checking the time. 8:50, huh? Might as well get ready for bed now. Getting up, you went to the bathroom and went through a quick nightly routine before putting on your pajamas, which were the same ones you had worn the night before. Putting the clothes you had worn that day in a pile next to your dresser, you flopped onto your bed, wrapping yourself in your blanket and smiling. Embracing its softness and warmth, you rejoiced in its presence, grateful for the fact that you hadn't lost it. Hey, if I'm lucky, this being here could help me sleep easier. Cuddling up into it, you eventually fell asleep, and were transported into the realm of dreams.

_______________________

You sat on top of a tall building, wind rushing past you, blowing your hair into your face. The view was beautiful and full of glowing colors; the sun, the stars, the streetlights, the cars were all gleaming. It made for a wondrous sight. Some parts of the city from your view were storming, with rain pouring down and lightning striking at the ground. One of those thunder clouds were slowly creeping towards you, making you somewhat anxious.