Chapter 36- Beach Day

After another day of travel, you had gotten to the point where you could finally smell and see the beach, excitement exploding within you, causing a grin to appear on your face that never faltered. You were filled with energy, bouncing and running around the camper as you giggled and smiled, not able to hold in your excitement. "We're not even there yet!" Scout laughed at your antics, but you didn't care. Your eyes glittered and smile shone with gleeful anticipation. After another twenty minutes of driving, Sniper had found his way onto the beach, driving along the sandy shore until he found a place to park. There was no one to be seen, so it would only be you and the mercenaries on the beachside. You grinned from ear to ear, hopping from one foot to another as you held in your giddy laughter, waiting for Sniper to park the van. The moment he did you opened the back door and immediately looked to your right to face the beach. The ocean breeze was what hit you first, along with the salty air that came with it. Stars shone in your eyes as you finally let out all your laughter, literally jumping with joy. Sniper appeared at the back door, watching your childish joy with a smile. "Come on Roo, you gotta get into your swimsuit first." You looked over to him, nodding rapidly as you raced past him and to your backpack, digging out your bathing suit. The mercenaries left you to change, notifying you of this before shutting the door behind them. You changed in a hurry, throwing the door open as you were about to race towards the ocean when Soldier stopped you. "Stop right there cupcake! You need to put sunscreen on first! You don't want to get burnt, do you?" You giggled slightly as you shook your head. "I guess not!" He grinned as he gave you a bottle of sunscreen, going back into the camper. Scout turned back to you."Wait until we're done changin' to get into the water, alright kiddo?" You nodded as he closed the door behind them, you now opening up the bottle of sunscreen and squeezing some into your hand, lathering it along your body. You were finishing up your legs when the mercenaries exit the camper, now all in their swim-trunks. Scout wasn't wearing his hat anymore, and nor had Sniper, but he did keep his glasses on. Soldier had also decided to keep his his helmet on, which you found odd. Sniper walked out when his expression shifted, looking as if he had just gotten an idea, going to point back at the van. "Oi'm gonna park the campa so that the back end faces the ocean." You nodded along with the other two mercenaries, backing away from the van so that Sniper had room to drive. Scout looked back at you, glancing at the sunscreen. "You done with that?" You had finished rubbing in the sunscreen on your face, but you weren't able to get your back. "Uh- almost, I just need to get my back." You looked off awkwardly, not knowing if you'd be able to reach the entirety of your back to keep it from getting burnt. "Oh! Here, lemme help." He took the sunscreen from you, going over to your back as he poured some sunscreen into his palm. Scout slapped the sunscreen onto your back, rubbing it in as much as he could since he didn't want you to get burnt. "All done!" You turned around to face him, giving him a smile. "Thanks, Scout!" You were pretty sure not all of it had been rubbed in, but you weren't going to make a fuss about it. You turned to face the camper, seeing that the camper was now parked so that its back end faced the beach, and Soldier and Sniper were setting up a grill and cooler, along with some towels.

"Huh, wonder where they got that from." You were broken away from your curiosity when Scout hit you on the shoulder to grab your attention. "Hey, wanna race?" He gestured to the sea, implying that you two would be racing to jump into it. You smirked, getting into a readied stance. "Sure, why not!" He grinned, getting prepped to run as well. "Get ready- set- Go!" The two of you broke off into a sprint, sand being kicked up behind the two of you. Using the slope of the beach as it ran down into the ocean, you sprinted faster and prepared to dive into the salty water. You couldn't help but laugh as you ran, Scout laughing as well due to the infectious nature of your own. You two ended up nearly tying, Scout just barely diving into the water before you. You resurfaced, quickly finding Scout as the two of you made eye contact, bursting out laughing. Even with how cold the water felt in comparison to the warm air, it felt incredibly nice to be able to go to the beach after years of not seeing it. "Oi- Scout! You didn't put on your sunscreen you bloody wankah!" Scout turned towards the direction of the voice, his eyes settling on Sniper as he rolled his eyes, trudging through the water as he headed back towards Sniper. "Alright! Jeez, I'll put the stupid stuff on!" You giggled as he lollygagged back to the shore, heading over to Sniper. You swam a bit closer to the shore as well, not wanting to have to deal with the ocean's waves yet. You basked in the sun's heat, arriving at the shore as you turned back around to face the sea. Smiling, you took in the beach's atmosphere, loving the salty mist and warm breeze. Even though you felt warm you were shivering, but you didn't care, you just wanted to live within the fact that you were actually at the beach.