I barely acknowledge Dave when he exits the room, his confident strides contrasting with the perplexed look on his face. I was with him, why didn't she just give us the phone? There is absolutely no reason for her not to.

At that moment, my phone decided to ring. Pulling it out I resist the urge to roll my eyes at the caller ID and instead, politely answer.

"Hotchner." well, as polite as I usually am.

'Aaron.' Strauss's voice channels through the device. What could she possibly want? She knows I'm on a case. She also knows I hate being called when I'm working a case.

'Why was Garcia looking into the name Francesca Valentino?' she asks. I squint my eyes in confusion over her question, but non the less explain the situation.

She stayed silent, even after I finished talking. Finally, after about 30 seconds, she hums slightly, 'We've been trying to find Ms. Valentino, I wasn't aware all I had to do was turn on the news to find her,' she states, peaking my curiosity.

She either has no agents working this angle or she has lazy agents working this angle. My guess would be no agents since Erin has the tendency to do things off the record.

I watch silently as Ms. Valentino flinches harshly from Rossi's touch, my brows furrowing. That is not a good sign.

'We want eyes on her. We have been trying to take down Valentino for almost a decade but we can't seem to get a solid lead-'

"I'm going to stop you right there Ma'am." I say, my voice hard, "With all do respect, I don't think bringing his granddaughter into this is the best idea. She is completely oblivious as to who he is, it would be a waste of our resources." I firmly state, hoping to get my point across. This girl didn't need to be involved.

I hear her sigh, 'Aaron, as much as I agree, it's a choice we have to make. I'm thinking of sending Morgan undercover, I-'

"That's not a good idea," I interrupt her, remembering how Morgan said she didn't even bother speaking to him on the ride in. They had no connection what so ever.

Strauss sighs again, 'Well you need to figure it out, just don't lose her,' and with that she ends the call.

In the end, Dani had booked a house in Virginia for some reason, which Garcia changed the address to, after we all agreed that it would be easier to be in the same house as her then to watch from afar. Of course Dave had decided it would be my house instead of Derek's then later defending his choice saying that she seemed to be the most comfortable around me. I thought she looked tense, scared even, but Rossi wouldn't let up. So Morgan's assignment became mine. And now her she is, asleep in my arms after a night of intense passion.

I have no idea what I'm going to do. There is no denying that we both feel something towards one another. A strong something at that and I can't seem to will myself away from her. Everything about her just draws me in. I just don't get it.

I try and harness my emotions, compartmentalize, they are both things I am honestly good at but can't seem to do presently. I know logically I can't just run away, that would compromise the whole assignment. But I also know logically that I can't get attached. Even if I wanted something to happen between us, I had already lost that chance.

The second she realizes that this all started out as an assignment, she will never talk to me. She'll leave, and I don't blame her. I would leave too.

*

I flip the last pancake and place it on the dark blue plate on the counter. Dani was still asleep and I let her, she seemed like she would react three different ways if I woke her up, and I didn't what any of them to happen.

A door swings open from behind me and I turn around, my eyes meeting Dani's lively brown ones, "Hey," she smiles, the first truly real one that has been shot in my direction. Her hair was up in a messy ponytail, her make up slightly smeared. Even with her messy appearance, she was one of the most beautiful girls I've known.

I sent a smile back at her, "Morning," I mumble.

She just stares at me for a second before looking down at herself then back at me, "Do you mind if I borrow some clothes? I don't feel like walking nude to my room." She asks, her smile growing nervous.

Nodding, I point to the food, "Then get your gorgeous ass out here and eat some food with me." I joke, earning a chuckle from her. Shutting the bedroom door behind herself, I hear her humming quietly to herself.

Turning back to the stove, I let out a sigh. My phone starts ringing, Garcia's name flashing across the screen. The ringtone 'I'm a bitch, I'm a boss' sounding through the kitchen. I had tried one to many times to change it and by now, I'd given up.

I go to reach for it, but stop when Dani's laugh echo's down the hallway, "I didn't know you liked Doja Cat," she giggles, wrapping her arms around my waist.

I turn around so I'm facing her, shaking my head, "One of my agents set it and every time I turn it off she puts it back on." I explain, smiling down at her amused face. She lets out another laugh, her smile one of the biggest ones I've seen since I've known her.

Pecking my cheek, she pulls away from my arms, "So," she drawls, "What's for breakfast?" I watch her as she walks around the kitchen island. She rests her elbows on the counter, cupping her face with her hands.

I shrug, "Pancakes." I simply state, pointing at the plate beside the stove. She nods, her eyes suddenly locked to the pancakes, a bittersweet smile replacing her genuine one. I scrunch my eyebrows before shaking my head.

No profiling.

Although that was probably the main reason for this assignment, I wasn't going to break her trust like that. She asked me not to profile her and I have no reason to. I'm after her grandpa, not her.

I meet her brown eyes, sending her a gentle smile, "Let's go sit at the table." I say, grabbing the plate of pancakes. Dani follows me to the dining table, and sits across from me. The table was already set so all I had to do was plate our food.

Passing her, her plate, I place two pancakes on mine, "So," I start, "What's your family like?" I question, licking the peanut butter off of my ring finger.

It's silent and when I look up I realize that was probably not the best question to start with or even ask at all.