Truth Behind Actions

Hiccup's P.O.V.

I look to the pendent that I crafted for Astrid. It sits in my hand on a sleek silver chain that I found laying around in the forge. Gobber even allowed me to take some of the crystals he had. The moment I told him who it was for, he insisted that I use them. And since I couldn't turn down Gobber, I ended up using them.

The pendent is in the shape of a heart formed by angel wings. I used the crystals that Gobber let me use to create the different layers of the wings. At the top center of the wings, there's a loop that allows a chain to slide through, allowing it to dangle from her neck. The entire pendent shines as I whip it down and slide it into a small box that I crafted. It's not the greatest box but it's a small wooden box that big enough to hold the necklace. I stained it a dark oak and found some fabric to put in there to help protect the chain and pendent.

I close the box and look to it, tracing the engraving of Astrid's name on top. Even though it may be a bit much, I thought the engraving would be a nice detail. Gobber even thought it would be too. Especially after he saw the engraving I did on the wedding bands for the engaged couple. He even suggested that I do more pieces like that for the people. Saying it makes it more unique and special for those who receive it.

"So, when ya gonna give it to her?" Gobber asks, placing his single hand on my shoulder.

I shrug. "I don't know. Maybe tonight. I'm not actually sure when I'll see her again."

"Why don't ye go 'ver tonight? It would be a nice surprise." He says.

I nod. "It could be, but there is a chance she may not want to see me today. She may want to spend time with her sister. I have to respect that." I look up to him, getting more nervous as I speak.

"Oh you'll be fine lad! I believe she enjoys yer company!" He nudges me with his arm and gives me a wink.

"You think so?" I ask, possibly with a little bit more hope than I thought I would.

He nods. "Oh ye, I saw her earlier. I'm surprised she didn't come and say hi. She usually does 'hat when she's in town."

I watch as he walks over to his station and starts working on another project. He switches out his hook for a mallet before walking over to a wonky piece of metal. Apparently he found that today and said it would make a great shield, or even something else if I wanted to use it.

Gobber has become very much like a father figure to me while I've been here. I've been able to ask him questions about anything as well as learn some new skills. He's shown me the traditional way to craft a sword that doesn't require the fancy tools we use in our modern day life. Instead it's basically just solid stone shaped to perfection with a peddle that allows you to control the speed. And even though I haven't told him anything about my feelings, I have a feeling he already knows how I feel about Astrid; and I don't even know that yet.

I know I care deeply for her and want her to be protected. She deserves to be safe at all times, and her past tricked her into believing it was true. I wish to show her that she will always be safe around me. I don't plan on hurting her, she doesn't deserve to be hurt. She deserves to be loved and cared for. She needs to know someone cares about her and her safety. That's one of the reasons why I made this necklace, to show her how much I care, how I much I want to protect her. I've only known her for a short amount of time and yet I feel so much for her.

"Hiccup!!"

My thoughts clear and my head turns at the sound of my name. I look in the direction of the voice to see Jack jogging over to me. He still wears the blue hoodie and grey pants, as well as holds a stick in his hands. Though now, he has a smile as white as his hair and as big as his face. His eyes even shine bright as he looks to me.