Change Of Heart

Astrid's P.O.V.

When I woke up this morning, I was in Hiccup's house as well as in his bed. I sit up to look around the room only to see a black Night Fury laying on a huge flat stone in the corner of the room. I look to him a bit in confusion, curious to know why there would be a Night Fury in Hiccup's room.

Pushing the thoughts aside, I take a moment to stretch before getting up. As I look around, I notice a variety of things that I didn't notice the night before. I didn't even realize how dark it was last night. The only light that came in was from the big window in the side. Plus it seemed the moon was so bright last night that it could light my path home if need be.

As I look around the room now, I notice a side table next to the bed with a lantern on it. The lantern seems old and withered, with the glass tinted with use. Next to it sits a book about the dragons on our land. Hiccup must've been doing some research these past couple of days. That would be one of the only reasons he would have it.

I look around to see a pair of small wooden doors, probably the location of his closet. The room isn't decorated with a whole lot of nick knacks or memorabilia, instead it sits almost completely bare. The only things hanging on the wall are those of the island forest and waters. Nothing else hangs on either wall, no other paintings or drawings of any kind.

After taking a look around I finally decide to head downstairs. As I walk toward the door, I notice the dragon in the corner perk his head up. He looks in my direction and tilts his head. His green eyes look me up and down before he gets up and walks over to me. I take this moment to stop in my tracks and look back at him. I'm not afraid of dragons, but I do know what they can do. I also know that the Night Fury is one of the deadliest dragons known to human kind.

I watch as the dragon walks up to me and sniffs my hand before nudging me with his nose. I smile a bit and give him a pet, even taking the chance to scratch him behind the ears. That seems to be his favorite spot because he basically falls at the feeling. Smiling, I pet him one last time before opening the door and heading downstairs.

When I walked downstairs, I looked around and noticed no one was there. I even stood quietly on the steps and heard no noise from upstairs either. So it seems that Hiccup isn't here and that I'm here alone with a dragon. Wonderful. I walk to the bottom of the steps and started heading toward the kitchen area. Along the way, I glanced over to the couch, remembering all that happened the night before.

Last night after having dinner, Hiccup and I sat on the couch. We talked to one another for a little bit before he asked me my reason for coming here. Even though I rarely tell anyone anything, I ended up telling him all that happened. From how the house reminded me of my past and how my heart was torn to pieces. I even thought he would laugh or say something stupid but instead he just sat there and listened to me.

He listened the entire time. He didn't make any moves of any kind. The only thing he did was pull me into his warm embrace, keeping me protected underneath his strong arms. After that I just remember staying in his hold watching the fire until I fell asleep. I fell asleep in his arms and I felt completely safe. Something I haven't felt for quite sometime. Not since I've been asleep for 200 years.

I smile softly to myself and then look over to the counter to see a chocolate chip muffin and a note. I take a step forward and read the hand written note before me.

Astrid,

I've gone to work and will be gone for almost the entire day. I left Toothless to watch after you while you slept. I hope you don't mind, I just wanted to make sure you were safe while I wasn't there. I asked my roommate/friend Jack to let your sister know where you were. She was probably worried and I want to let her know you are okay. I imagine you'll head back to the castle today, be safe and feel free to bring Toothless with you to keep you company. I'm sure I'll have a chance to see you later.

Hiccup

I read the note quietly to myself and smile at his words. He did everything he could to make sure I was alright while he was gone. He even left me Toothless, who must be the Night Fury who was laying in the corner of the bedroom earlier. As I look over the note again, I notice some more writing at the bottom of the page.

P.S.
Feel free to have the chocolate chip muffin. I got it from a bakery a few days ago. Enjoy it!

After reading the words, I hear a loud grumble. I look down at my stomach with my cheeks blazing red. Even though no one is here, it is still weird to hear such noise come from me. I didn't realize how hungry I was. I'm so used to eating before my stomach has a chance to say something. But it seems like now, I didn't have a chance to keep it silence.

I grab the muffin on the counter and take a bite, enjoying the yummy taste of it in my mouth. Even though he mentioned it was a couple days old, it still tastes pretty fresh. It must've been from the Island Bakery, one of the most fantastic bakeries here. I could order a tray of cookies today and know they are still going to taste so fresh in 4 days. I don't know how they do it, but it's so worth it.

After munching on the muffin, I decide it was about time for me to head to the castle. My sister is probably extremely worried about me. I can only imagine her being frantic as she runs around the castle. Even though I am old enough to care for myself and not need supervision, she still likes to know where I am at all times. Especially since I woke up from my extremely long nap.

Before stepping out of the door, I look up the steps, wondering if I should bring Toothless along with me. I take the moment to look outside to see the sun shining high in the sky. So without further thinking, I decided to close the door behind me and to walk toward the town, knowing I'll be fine without the protection of a Night Fury.

As I walk, I decide to make a stop at Hiccup's work to thank him for everything he's done. The food, the listening, and for being there for me, providing me a safe place to be. Even though I didn't learn much about Hiccup last night from his words, I learned quite a bit by his actions. He is such a sweet and caring person. I don't think I've seen men like that since before the 19th century. Weird to know that but it is true.

This Hiccup truly does seem to be much different from the one in the past. They may look the same but their personalities seem to be much different than one another. Though this one seems more like a mystery to me than the other one. I don't know this one very well but I would quite enjoy the chance to do so. I know I told myself I wasn't going to fall but, I may just have to go back on my word. Especially since I've seen such a gentle side to him last night.

As I walk into town, I notice how busy it is. I don't think I've seen many people out here since our last town celebration. Most of the paths are crowded with people socializing with one another. I even take the time to notice that I have absolutely no idea where I am going. I remember Hiccup had told me where he worked but I haven't been in town for such a long time. Plus I didn't fully pay much attention to what he told me. I was too distracted at the time to really pay attention.

Well, since I don't know where he works and that the town is so busy, I decide to just head back to the castle. I figured if anything, I would have the chance to thank him later. We've been seeing each other a lot these past couple of days so it wouldn't surprise me if I saw him again tonight. I guess time will only tell on that though.

As I walk home, I smile to myself, truly hoping he does come to visit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heyyyy!!!!!

Here's the next chapter to our story, The Dragon Princess!!!

I do hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! It actually took me much faster to write this chapter than previous chapters! Yay me!!

I did want to ask you if you enjoy my current pace for publishing the chapters. I just wanted to know if you wanted them more of a once a week bases or even sooner? Just curious!

Anyways,

Please do tell me if you enjoyed this chapter and what you would like to see in the next one!

I love you all and thank you!!

~~HeavensAngels_😇