It's Your Birthday

Hiccup's P.O.V.

Once we got back last night after dinner with Elsa and Jack, I started thinking about all the things I could do for Astrid's birthday. I want to give her a special day filled with all the people she loves. Not only that, but I also want to make sure I give her a very special gift. I've already given her a few things already; like a necklace and a bracelet, but I don't really know what to get her next. I'll have to figure that out once Astrid heads to bed.

Before Astrid and I left the castle, I asked Elsa about what she planned to do for Astrid's birthday tomorrow. Elsa said that traditionally, the day would contain many different festivities that both the town and royal family could take part in. At the end of the day, there would be a birthday ball for all to come and wish the princess a 'Happy Birthday'. They mention that this has happened every year until Astrid fell into her deep slumber. Once she was asleep, they didn't do anything. Elsa said they felt like celebrating certain things was a sin, especially when their precious princess was under a spell. But now that Astrid is awake, they can continue their celebrations once again.

Though, before we left, Elsa told me that tomorrow's celebrations could be a bit different. She still wishes to do the traditional birthday ball so all may come and say their wishes, but she wants Astrid and me to have some personal time together. She understands that there will still be festivities in town and that we are welcome to attend them as we please. She also mentioned that I might want to do something special for her. And of course, I do.

"Alright, home at last," I say, climbing off of Toothless's back, "M'lady."

Astrid smiles and takes my extended hand, allowing me to help her off. "Thank you," She says, kissing my cheek.

"Of course, any time," I reply holding out my arm which she happily takes.

With a smile, I walk both of us to the door with Toothless right behind us. I open it up and allow her to walk in first. I follow her afterward and let Toothless in before closing the door. Toothless walks over to his place and lights the fire before laying down. 

I watch as Astrid walks over to the couch and sits down. She leans down and takes her shoes off before she leans back into the cushions behind her. With a smile, I walk over and pet Toothless along the way. I sit down next to her and take my own shoes off before leaning back and wrapping an arm around Astrid. Glancing down at her, I see a smile form on her face as she snuggles close to my side and rests her head against my shoulder.

"Did you have fun today, M'lady?" I ask, kissing the top of her head.

"I did," she responds, snuggling closer, "I enjoyed everything about today."

"I'm glad," I say, smiling.

We stayed like that for quite a bit, staying silent as we enjoyed each other's company. As we sat there, I decided to think more about what I could get for Astrid for her birthday. I already know she'll say I didn't need to get her anything but I want to. However, I have no idea what to get her. I've already made her a necklace and bracelet. What else could I get her that shows her how much I love and care for her? I'm not quite sure but I have all night to figure it out.

After a little bit, I turn my attention to Astrid to see her fast asleep. I smile slightly and plant a kiss on her head before carefully getting up. I gently pick her up and watch as she curls closer into me. Smiling, I kiss her head and make my way up the steps towards her room.

With my foot, I ease the door open and step inside. I walk over to the bed and gently place her down, careful not to wake her up. Before laying the blanket on her, I glance over her to make sure she's not wearing anything uncomfortable. Once I make sure she's comfortable, I drape the blanket over her and plant a kiss on her forehead. With one last smile, I walk out of the room, closing the door behind me.