Chapter 28

Kate's Pov

The day was going by smoothly. I kept catching Adelyn staring at me every chance she got. I wonder why that is? Sales Department seemed so strict and gloomy, it was a damp cold atmosphere here, I'm not gonna fit in here am I?

"Kate, are you okay? You zoned out" Says Christy.

"Yeah I'm fine. Everyone seems so focused" I say.

"Cause they know if they're not then Adelyn would murder them" Says Christy.

"Is she really that scary?" I ask.

"She really is, just be careful around her. If you ever slack off, she'll send you packing" Says Christy.

"Is that why everyone looks so afraid of her?" I ask.

"Yeah" She says.

"She seems like a jerk" I sigh.

"A jerk eh?" Says Adelyn as she creeps up behind us.

"Ms. Adelyn" Says Christy in shock.

"You're relieved Christy. I'll take it from here" Says Adelyn as she have me the death stare.

"Oh I'm terribly sorry ma'am" I say apologetically.

"Being the head of a department means being the bad cop. If I let these idiots run wild then we'll get no work done Ms. Williams" Says Adelyn as she folds her arms.

"You're right. I'm sorry" I say.

"Come" She says as she leads me to the office.

I then followed her into her office. Her office looked so generic and typical, a basic office look.

"Sit" She says as she points to a chair.

"Okay" I say as I sit.

"Why are you here Kate?" She asks.

"Like right now?" I ask.

"Why are you at Diamond Star Publishing Company?" She asks.

"My goal to become a publisher one day, being here is a great start at that" I say as it caught her attention.

"I like your focus, you also seem playful, you're too playful, I have no use for playful here... and witty, work on that and you'll fit in here" She says.

"I'll work on that" I gulp.

"Good. Now go to lunch" She says as she points to the door.

Is it just me or is this woman is a huge asshole? I mean I can be witty at times.. but... What exactly did she mean by change?

"You keep zoning out Kate. Are you okay? What did she say to you?" Asks Christy.

"I'm too playful" I sigh.

"Yeah she's uptight, most of the employees complain about her to HR but she's good at her job so they let it slide" Says Christy.

"I'm second guessing working in Sales" I say.

"Don't let her get you discouraged. All you gotta do is get your stuff done and you'll be fine" Says Christy.

"Thanks Christy. Where's the lunch room?" I say.

"Third floor" She says as she points at the elevator.

I enter the third floor, it seemed so empty. There was a little kid sitting on the chair with his feet swinging as he stared at me, I sit. I sat at the table as the kid kept staring at me. He looked about 7 or 8. I wasn't all that hungry so I pulled out a chocolate bar. The little boy looked at me with stars in his eyes.

"Want a piece little kid?" I say to him as he looked at me and his mouth watered.
He then got up and walked towards the table as I broke piece and handed it to him.

"Thank you" He says.

"You're welcome kid" I say.

"What did I tell you about taking candy from strangers!" A voice yelled as the kid jumped.

I pay my attention to this guy who walked in, he was tall and had his black hair with the most perfectly ironed suit.

"I'm sorry other big brother" Says the kid as he returned the chocolate to me.

"Other big brother?" I ask.

"Who the hell are you? Are you one of our new recruits?" Asks the man.

"Yes. I am.. I'm Kate" I say a little intimidated by this man.

"Do you always go around giving candy to children?" He asks.

"N.. No" I say.

"Come on Mark, let's go" Says the man as he gave me the death stare and exited the room.

Who was that man? Gosh I've been making the worst first impressions here.

*text from Jane Connor*

Jane Connor: How's it going over there?

Me: Terrible. I'm making the worst impressions...

Jane Connor: It'll be okay babe. I believe in you.

Me: Thank you. That means a lot.

Jane Connor: You're very welcome.

.........

I finish up my chocolate bar and headed outside where I see Ms. Adelyn awaiting me.

"I'm back" I say as she continue to stare at me.

"Do you need an applause for coming back to work Ms. Williams?" She says as the other workers laugh.

"No ma'am" I say feeling embarrassed.

"If you can't handle a joke like that then you don't belong here" Says Adelyn as she folds her arms.

"I don't think I do" I say gulping hard.

"Then you're dismissed for the day. Go home" She says as she turns her back on me.

"It's only 1:30PM ma'am" I say as she stops.

"The head of the sales department just dismissed you, now go" She says as she points to the door.

I look at Christy who gave me a sympathetic look but Adelyn was glancing her way and she looked away. I exited the room with my tail between my legs. I've never felt so embarassed in my life.

I walked out of there so fast as my eyes started watering. Before I knew it I was crying in the elevator. The elevator door then opened as I see the line of new recruits with Josh by their side. They all looked at me wide eyed and shocked as I stood there crying.

"Kate! Why are you crying? What happened?" Says Josh as he came closer.

"I'm sorry. I don't belong here" I say as I swat his hand away and run out of there crying..

"Hey wait!" He yelled out to me but I didn't look back, I just ran.

I jump into my car as I drive off not looking back.

I then found myself in the one place I wanted to be. I got out of the car and stood there... in front of Connor Enterprises.