Chapter 69

Kate's Pov

"Kate" Says Martinez.

Martinez.. the mastermind of the game who controlled Anna and Adelyn.. I haven't seen her since Adelyn got arrested, what the hell is she doing here??!!

"I haven't seen you in about a year" I say to her as she snickered.

"It's nice to see you again Kate" She says.

"Don't lie to me, what do you need?" I ask.

"It's about your interview with New York Times" She says.

"You know about my interview?" I say to her.

"The tell-all about the incident, everyone knows. The Times basically tweeted out about the interview tomorrow" She says.

"And let me guess, there are certain things you don't want me telling them?" I ask.

"Correct, omit me and Anna from your statements. Here is what happened, here is what you'll do, you'll tell the story but you'll leave out some parts, withhold the full truth, no one needs to know everything. The public is just curious so go clear the air, they just need an answer. Spin the truth. If you really want to do this interview then just tell them about you and Adelyn. You don't have to drag everyone into it" She says.

"The whole thing started because of you" I say.

"If they dig deep into it, they're going to find out things about me and my past, things that I would hate getting into the light. Specially things with Jane" She says.

"So you're telling me to omit the part where you wanted to destroy Jane even tortured her and where you tried to get me killed?" I say.

"Don't play smart" Says Martinez.

"I'm not afraid of you" I say.

"Listen Kate, I'm old and retired now. I regret doing those things but I cannot suffer because of that forever. I would rather live out my days in peace and not rotting away in some cold dark jail cell somewhere. You know, Jane has already forgave me and you should too" She says.

"You're aware of the fact that this problem you caused isn't going to magically go away right? You have to face up what you did. Adelyn is getting punished for the things she did and you should too, that's only fair" I say.

"Please Kate" She said, giving me her best puppy eyes.

"Omit my and Anna's name from your statement, that's all I ask" She says.

"I can omit Anna's name but you're the real monster. What you did to us, is unforgivable. Also stop pretending like you care about Anna. You only want me to omit her name so she don't get to say anything against you. Just to save your own ass. You're as selfish as ever" I say with disgust.

"My secret organization will stop at nothing to keep my name safe, this is what they were hired for, they are certainly not the people you mess with" She warned.

"Is that threat?" I ask as I raised an eyebrow.

"Certainly not, just a word of advice" She smiled.

"If I can deal with Adelyn then I can deal with some secret organization too" I say as I walk towards the door.

"You'll definitely regret this Kate. I can guarantee you that" She warned as I close the door.

Some secret organization, give me a break! I can handle them. You will pay for what you did to us Martinez.. just thinking about it gets me mad.. Jane can forgive you but I will never forgive you.

"What did she want?" Asked Anna as we walk outside.

"She told me to keep her and your name out of the media" I sigh.

"How can you mention the whole incident and not mention the name of the leader. Surely they're going to put it together" Says Anna.

"She warned that some secret organization will come after me if I reveal that information, she sounded desperate" I laugh as Anna stopped.

I then stopped and turned around as Anna had a terrified look on her face.

"Anna?" I say as she gulped.

"The Secret Society" She says with a terrified look on her face.

"Are they that scary?" I ask.

"They're a special organization that works in the shadows and gets whatever they have to do done without fail. They're a special unit who works for Martinez, elite class hackers with special skills" Says Anna.

"I'll beef up security" I say.

"You don't understand Kate, they're not people you mess with under any circumstances" Says Anna.

"So you think this interview with Leona is a mistake?" I say as I gulp.

"You can have the interview but be very careful what information you give out, you do not want this organization after you" Warned Anna.

"I'll be aware of what I'm doing, don't worry" I say.

"There are some battles in which you cannot win" Says Anna. I sighed.

I left my office and step into the car as Taylor drove off. Am I really doing the right thing?

We then arrived at Jane's apartment as I head up. I open the elevator door as I hear the fire alarm going off. Why does this situation seem so familiar?!

I hurry to the kitchen to see Jane with a fire extinguisher as she put out a blazing fire on the stove.

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" She yelled out of breath.

"Hello there" I say as she jumped.

"Kate! Don't scare me like that" She said.

"What are you doing?" I say as I look at her.

"Was trying to make us dinner.. I failed terribly again" She sighed.

"How sweet" I say as I walk up to her and kissed her.

"How does one screw up french toast!" She said.

"You almost burned the building down making french toast?" I say in disbelief.

"I'm sorry" She says as I kiss her.

"Let's order pizza" I say as I hug her.

"You're the best" She says.

"Jane, we need to talk" I say as I hold her hand.

"Oh my god! You're leaving me!" She says.

"Oh, gosh no. It's about my interview tomorrow" I say.

"Okay, what about it?" Asks Jane.

I know Jane doesn't support the interview and would prefer it not happen but this is something I have to do. But I wonder if I should keep this a secret from you Jane. Should I tell her about my meeting with Martinez and the secret society or should I keep it a secret?

"Hey Kate?" Says Jane, shaking me.

"Oh yes, it's nothing important. We can talk about it later" I said.

"Alright babe. Let me order some pizza. You go get fresh" Jane says as I smiled.

This interview might put Martinez in prison. And after that the secret society might come after me. I have no idea how powerful they're.. but they seem dangerous.