Chapter 28 - Deli

Start from the beginning

"Nothing to worry about. He's a catch, right? I heard you asking him out for a drink, you are more than welcome to come to Moonlight House and meet with us later. There are always tons of hot guys around. I can put you on the guest list for tonight."

"You work at Moonlight House?" She asks surprised.

"I'm one of the owners. I'll be happy to introduce you to one of our regulars."

"I will take you up on your offer and come by later. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Matt is the most professional and respectful photographer I've worked with. You are totally right. He's a catch."

Kim leaves and my heart returns to a normal beating pace.

"I told you. I'm not Wendy," Erin caresses my hair. "It's normal for someone you work close with to realize that you are a great guy. But you are taken," she grins.

"You won't break up with me?" I ask. I need to hear it.

"Of course not. You know that I always get the guy at the club who wants to hug me for a little too long for it to be friendly. God knows how many times someone has pinched my butt in front of you. You have not broken up with me over those."

"Those guys are very drunk. This was a sober moment."

"Will it make you feel better if I throw a fit?" She has trouble containing a smile.

"What did I do to deserve you, Erin? You are the best girlfriend in the world."

"Well, I'm sure that Rory, Sam, and Adam will disagree on who has the best girlfriend, but thanks," she laughs.

Erin's parents return to the main studio and I finish putting my stuff in my bag. I should know by now that Erin isn't Wendy and she's open and understanding.

We drive towards our favorite dining spot, besides the club, Cesar and Annette's deli. We could go anywhere when we go out for dinner when she's free and she always asks to go there. She says it brings happy memories of our first date and her first argument with Wendy. Erin is special like that and no doubt her parents' influence have a lot to do with it.

I simply love having them around at my place. They are incredibly kind and intelligent. In the evenings, Lars and I enjoy a drink and talk about whatever is in our minds. Gretchen always has a hot cup of coffee ready for me when I wake up and packs me lunch. I should be taking care of them, but I'm afraid I will make them feel miserable because they truly love helping around and making people comfortable. We grab a booth and Annette only gets Lars and Gretchen's order since she knows Erin and my order from her head. We catch up on what we did and about our expectations of tonight at the club.

"Never disappoints," Erin says while licking a bit of the mayo that escaped from her turkey sandwich.

"Did you imply at the studio that Adam and Claire are together?" I ask Erin.

"About time! That boy needed to get laid soon!"

Gretchen bites on her sandwich after her comment while I try not to choke on mine. Lars laughs while stealing potato chips from his wife.

"Isn't that the truth?" Gretchen looks from Erin to me. Erin is about to fall from her chair while laughing while I'm just shocked. "Adam has always been too stiff, too stressed. He needs some sort of release," she shrugs.

"Oh God, I wonder what you think of me," Erin says between laughs.

Gretchen holds Erin's hand over the table. "When the time is right and you are ready it will be worth the wait."

Erin stops laughing and looks puzzled. "What do you know?"

"Rory told us what happened before the summer. Don't get upset with him," Lars lifts a hand in warning. "I know you all have that ridiculous pact of not wanting to worry us. We appreciate what you are trying to do, but as your parents, we need to know. Erin, I'm just so glad that you found a guy who loves you and respects you enough to give you the time and space you need," he looks at me and nods.

Lars and I had an open conversation last night. I poured my heart about how I feel about Erin and that I'm willing to wait for however long she needs because I love her. I don't see myself spending the rest of my life with anyone but her. That's why the thought of doing something stupid and she breaking up with me scares the hell out of me. She makes me so damn happy and I can be myself around her. 

Erin stares at the table and I can only assume that she feels embarrassed. I only know the general story of what happened on that night. The memory is painful and I don't want to add to it by asking her the details.

"They needed to know," I place my arm around her shoulders and pull her a bit, she looks at me. "Rory did the right thing to tell them. You don't need to feel embarrassed or ashamed. I know you don't want to cause them troubles, but they have the right to care about their children. That's why I called them about Adam. His situation scared me. We are becoming friends and the idea of something happening to him hurt me."

"Adam is making friends, that's new," she gives me a small smile.

"There's hope for everyone. We are all here for you and I want to be in your life forever. Well, until another model tries to kiss me and you kick the crap out of me."

"Or if Wendy appears at the club again and takes a swipe at you," she grins mischievously.

"Erin... Will you marry me?" I take the ring I placed earlier in my pocket and show it to her.

Erin looks at the ring and then at her parents who grin. During my talk with Lars last night, I asked his permission to marry Erin and he agreed. It was his idea to come by the studio and pretend to ask me out for dinner so that I could propose. She hasn't answered and a crease appears between her eyes.

"You are not ready..." I say.

"Ready? Oh! No! I mean, yes! Dammit, I wasn't ready for this!" She laughs and I'm still confused.

"She means yes," Gretchen says while shaking her head and returns to enjoy her sandwich.

Erin nods and with a shaky hand, I place the ring on her finger and cup her face to kiss her.

"You make me so happy," I say against her lips.

An assortment of brownies appears on the table. Annette smiles at us.

"Love and chocolate go together. Congratulations! Your table order is on the house."

Erin looks at the ring in her hand while Lars and Gretchen share a brownie. Whatever it takes, however long, just to be with her.