chapter thirty-three | the one with the sleepless night

tw: depiction of sleep paralysis.

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - T H R E E

the one with
the sleepless night

Veronica and Chloe were colonizing Ethan's apartment after Geralt Jr

Veronica and Chloe were colonizing Ethan's apartment after Geralt Jr. escaped its sanctuary, refusing to step foot inside despite Danielle reassuring them all her bugs were in place.

Chloe insisted it was their right after having him abuse his 1203 Key Privileges clause for years and Ethan countered that he had been doing them a favor by blessing them with his radiating presence every morning, which lead the fight to escalate with Chloe using curse words and saying things like: "I fucking swear I'm only tolerating you out of legal obligation. It's a miracle I didn't issue a restraining order against you."

All the while Veronica had been standing restlessly by the door, and the moment she heard footsteps pass by the apartment, she leaped for the peephole. She caught Allen's tall figure standing by his door, picking out his key.

She left her relatives to tear their heads apart and swung the door open, lingering by the doorway. He angled his head to meet her gaze expectantly.

"So..." She started, body stiff.

Allen looked exhausted. His eyes seemed unfocused, his hair tousled and a hint of a five o'clock shadow on his face. He still managed to pull a lopsided smile, one that made her heart melt and her insides grow warm. He looked back down at his keys.

"Relax, Veronica," he said, unlocking his door and pushing it open.

"Okay." She nodded to herself because it had been eating away at her. She couldn't have sex with him. For one, she was still on her period, and for two... it was out of the question.

But as he got inside his apartment, leaving his door wide open, she couldn't help but feel like he easily read her like an open book.

"Wait." She gasped dramatically, and as he predicted, followed him inside. "Are you saying you weren't taking me seriously?"

"Yes."

Her mouth dropped open. He didn't even look at her when he answered, taking off his coat and neatly hanging it.

She had to admit, she was oddly turned on by whatever this game was.

She swallowed, shaking the feeling away and opting for a change of subject.

"I meant the news about Harrison Durant," she said while he took out a bottle of water from the fridge. His head was tipped back, draining the content of the bottle in one go. He licked his lips while nodding absently, throwing the bottle in a separate bin for recycling.