chapter twenty-five | the one with the family tolerance meter

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F I V E

the one with
the family tolerance meter: new year's pt.1

1

The family spent New Year's Eve out of legal obligation and most of the members came because of the free food. They pretended to be healthy and normal for a few hours and then the vicious cycle would settle back to its normal state. Everything would be fine as long as no one argued - maybe then, the vases would stay intact this year.

"We live in a capitalist world! Pharmaceutical companies can't be trusted, they'd create anything just to strip us of our money." Carl exasperated. Chloe widened her eyes and shot him a cold look while her eyebrows could reach the ceiling. "I'm telling you, vaccines are ineffective."

She plastered a tight sarcastic smile. "Yes, and the earth is flat," she countered dryly.

"The earth is flat." Her brows pulled together, and her eyes grew wide at how utterly dense he could be.

It didn't come as a shock. Carl was one of the people who believed Cancer was a man-maid disease and pigeons were working as biotech spies for the government.

Meanwhile, Veronica was stuck arguing with his brother Theo.

"Alright, let's say you're right - I'm not saying you are, but let's just assume," Veronica hypothesized. "I'm not talking about every or any villain. Let's talk about the Joker. You catch him so many times and throw him into Arkham for him to escape and kill people and what do you do? Catch him and put him back into Arkham? Don't you see the cycle?"

"I don't see how it's Batman's responsibility. Why does he also have to kill him? He's already beating the shit out of criminals but acting as an executioner too? That's not his decision to make. By killing a person what makes him so different from any other bad person out there?"

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Isn't it selfish? Not willing to get blood on your hands for the sake of remaining innocent, but in doing so you're allowing the villains you left alive to do their killings again. He's not preventing them from killing innocent civilians, he's allowing them - and for what?"

"How is he allowing them! He just doesn't want to be another killer. If you've read the comics, he says he doesn't want to cross that line."

Veronica groaned. "Enough with the 'line'-"

"Why do you bother?" Veronica and Theo both swiveled their heads to face Kayla, who had a champagne flute in one hand and a poker face.

"Because every year he brings up that 'line' as his strongest argument."

"Hmm." She paused. "I've been trying to understand what's so interesting about arguing Theo and I have to say, you're not making a strong case here."