chapter twenty-four | the one with the roots

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F O U R

the one with
the roots: new year's pt.1

1

Ethan was a pacifist.

He always made sure their family was problems-free. It got annoying to the point where Veronica started hiding things from him and claimed the wifi at the Lodge was infinitely better than the one at home to explain why she needed to stay away from there as much as possible. No family was perfect - she was aware of that. They could've had it worse - she was aware of that too. But it wasn't a reason to stick around and be involved in something that would harm no one else but her.

Her parents fighting? Whatever - as long as she was kept out of it.

She didn't even tell him when she found out their mom was cheating on their dad.

Their mother might not have acted on it, but the very frequent late-night phone calls and sneaky conversations she had were enough indication. What annoyed Veronica the most was that she used to secretly talk to him in front of her. With earbuds on she would hum, and Veronica could clearly hear a male voice talking on the other end.

Nothing angered Veronica more than being taken for an idiot.

When she confronted her about it, her mother made sure to reverse the narrative. She blamed Veronica for being so selfish - that her mother trusted her enough to do it in front of her, that she never expected her to react so cruelly.

Veronica had been all too familiar with the guilt-trip card and she openly hadn't bought it. They hadn't fought - she hadn't answered her when she had bashed at her, she hadn't even felt any bit of regret or relief. She had been angry. Plain and simple.

It was a stain on their relationship that none tried to fix. The only fixing they had done was Veronica being forced to apologize because she had known otherwise, she'd turn her life into a living Hell. She had gotten into her room, had said a flat 'sorry', had been met with a curt nod, and that had been all.

Veronica had always wondered if Ethan knew, but the incident became such an irrelevant detail that she no longer cared about.

The car parked by the entrance and they split the fair of the cab. It was the best option to take one seeing as no one was going to drive to the airport. They had been sleeping for the past two hours on the way to Long Island, except for Veronica and Chloe who passed the time watching random episodes of Modern Family on Netflix.

The moment Veronica hopped off the car, she saw her mother standing by the door rushing down the stairs to greet them.

"There you guys are! Come in, come in. You wouldn't believe the day I had!"