chapter thirty-six | the one where it was a matter of time

Aaaaand it's a wrap! This is officially the last chapter of book 1! This is dedicated to sparksofmadness, for being my beta reader, and ofc AshesAshes0hNo for being an incredible reader and hyping me/the characters up in the comments! I can't thank you enough for this!

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - S I X

the one where
it was a matter of time

            "I see you found my favorite," Elena commented, voice soft as she shyly locked eyes with her for no more than two seconds before she looked back ahead

Not a fan of eye contact. Veronica understood.

"Well, the name rang a bell." She smiled when Elena chuckled. "Though to be honest, I'm wondering what Greek myths have to do with it."

Elena tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, lips rolling inside her mouth. "You don't know The Song of Achilles?"

"Didn't know it was a prerequisite," Veronica dryly said.

Elena's smile faltered and Veronica noticed they weren't acquainted enough for her to know she wasn't trying to be mean.

"It's a joke," she quickly explained, "realized it's not funny," she muttered the last part awkwardly to herself.

"Oh..." Elena laughed, it was breathless and low.

Silence fell between them and Veronica cut to the chase.

"Veronica."

Elena nodded with a smile. "We met."

"Oh. Didn't think you'd remember." Veronica shrugged. She paused before she drew in a sharp breath. "I'm sorry. I have a question to ask you. I hope that's okay."

"You're going to ask about my father, aren't you?" Elena swallowed, shifting to sit down on the cold tile beside Veronica.

"Sort of." The actual answer was no. Not yet anyway. This seemed to confuse Elena, and a frown made its way to her face. She had the question at the tip of her tongue, but she needed to clear one thing first. "Is this why you were dating Pierre Lux?"

"Oh." Elena shrugged. "Yeah... it was only for the press. Good for the reputation." She tucked a blonde strand behind her ear, offering a sheepish small shrug. "Our families are close."

"You and Caleb aren't really together either." She tested. Elena faltered, her eyes skipping to face her. "You're not wearing your ring," she explained. Elena swallowed and Veronica was quick to add, "I'm not judging. I'm just asking."