Chapter 19 ➛Desire

My mouth hung agape as I stared at her. ''But-But you're dead,'' I murmured as I examined her up and down. The ghost of a sympathetic smile danced on her face as she watched me in return.

''You've become so strong,'' she said, and I noticed the glistening tears in her eyes as she extended a hand toward my face, only to find her fingers grasping air, as she was not close enough to me.

The confusion was overwhelming but it mingled with caution. Because in the back of my mind I kept reminding myself that this was probably, surely, a trick from the Ministry, from Lillian.

I took a step back and watched her warily as I tightened the grip on my wand. ''You're not real. Everyone told me you were dead. Lillian, Dumbledore, the Ministry, even dad- Grindelwald,'' I corrected myself quickly.

Our relationship might have progressed onto a whole new level, but I had never intentionally called him dad before, not seriously, in any case.

Her eyebrows furrowed as her hand dropped to her side and I knew that somehow, my remark had hurt her in a way that I did not completely understand. It would've been extremely difficult to fake such deep pain if she truly was an impostor.

My head spun as we stared at each other, neither sure what to do, both in the need of talking, however, neither of us could start a conversation. How was one even supposed to do so when they ran into their supposedly dead mother?

Until reality hit me and I realized that we had been staring at each other stupidly for over a minute now. A minute filled with questions soaring through my mind, all different emotions following each other up as if queued. So I finally decided it had been enough and opened my mouth to speak, but to my utmost dread, voices had started rummaging outside and on the other side of the entrance doors.

It only took them a second to blast open the doors and make an entrance that none would quickly forget.

I spun around at the scene and covered my face as the falling debris tumbled to the ground. The explosion was quickly followed by sounds of distress mingling with those of victory, erupting from both parties.

It was only when I realized that I was in the middle of what was about to be a battlefield that I turned to Naomie and watched her smile sadly at me before disapparating and leaving me astounded and afraid.

Once the loud crack had announced her departure I looked back at the group now crowding behind their leader who stood only ten feet away from me, Lillian, who was staring, her mouth hanging open at the spot where Naomie had just been.

My thoughts clicked as I saw her expression; genuine surprise and shock. And it was at that moment, that I knew that whoever I had just been talking to, was not working for the Ministry. And upon seeing Lillian's reaction, I knew there weren't many other possibilities besides the one that my mother was indeed alive.

There were a few numbing moments before I realized that I had no other option but to flee, otherwise, I would be caught in the crossfire of a battle I wish I wouldn't have to endure because I knew, that neither the Greater Good nor the Ministry of Magic, would allow their enemies to triumph over the other.

The cold shock of the strange occurrence and contact I had just had with my mother, or whoever it was, had not yet dissolved.

My disorientation vanished as I noticed the first few people coming from the room where Grindelwald had just given his speech. They were shouting something inside, and it was at that moment that I noticed Lillian's confused, shocked glare my way, and it was only just in time that I noticed her pointing her wand at me shockingly quick, having me jump out of the way and crashing to the ground, toppling on my arm at an unfortunate angle. And as I felt it snap beneath my weight, my eyes widened and tears threatened to spill immediately.