Chapter 8 ➛Forgotten Memories

Alyx and I talked a little more before I went off to check on Robert who I had left back at the infirmary. I wanted to be there when he woke up, mostly to calm him down. I knew he'd go completely crazy when he realized he was somewhere he didn't remember going.

However, I couldn't stay in the castle all day. There was annoyingly little to do. Alyx offered to come with me to the infirmary which I gladly consented to. I liked her. And she seemed to like me.

A smile came to my lips as I thought about it. ''What's so funny?'' she asked, looking at me with raised eyebrows. ''I know I'm hilarious, but it's not often that even my mute jokes make people laugh.''

I grinned at her. ''I'm entertained quite easily,'' I said as I gazed at her. She raised an eyebrow, matching her grin. ''Is that so?'' she said softly as she locked eyes with me. I blinked once and felt a strange sensation in my stomach.

Then she looked away and cleared her throat. ''So, this Raven. This Robert. He's a friend of yours?'' she asked as she glanced at me curtly.

I nodded. ''I've known him for seven years. I've lived with him before I came here,'' I explained, walking with my hands in the pockets of my trousers. ''Why are you here?'' she asked softly as she looked me up and down. ''It's not like you admire him. At least, that's what I think because of the way you talked to him during dinner.''

I sniggered softly. ''He's really just a man,'' I said as I looked at her with a smile. She grinned at me again and nodded. ''You're right.''

Just as she said that we rounded the corner and were standing in front of the double doors of the infirmary.

I opened the doors and entered the room and as I walked inside I noticed that the appearance of his raven form had changed.

Only when I approached him I realized that he had a white streak of white feathers reaching over his head ending about where his hairline used to end.

I watched the little creature's chest rising and falling. The nurse came walking into the room and was heading for the person lying on the bed at the other side of the room, but as I spotted her I quickly approached her.

''Sorry,'' I said to catch her attention. She looked at me with an eyebrow raised. ''Would you mind alerting me before Grindelwald when Robert wakes up? It's quite important,'' I said softly as I watched her seriously.

''I can, but keep in mind that immediately after I've alerted you I will have to tell him,'' she said softly. I nodded and smiled. ''Thank you.''

Then I made my way back to the bed where Robert was lying and Alyx was waiting. ''What were you asking her?''

I smiled and brushed the question off. ''Nothing important.''

She sighed but accepted it. Then she looked from Robert to me and asked, ''Do you want to get out of here? He won't wake up soon, I suppose. I really have to go outside for a bit, I feel so trapped and constricted in here.''

I watched her with a frown. ''Are we even allowed to leave?'' I asked her softly so the nurse wouldn't hear us. ''No. That's what makes it even more fun,'' she said, a mischievous smile on her lips. ''C'mon. Don't tell me you're chicken,'' she said disappointedly as she started making soft chicken noises.

I laughed and pushed her a bit before grinning at her. ''Of course I'm not.'' She watched me with a content grin before I grabbed her arm. ''Let's go, then,'' I said as I pulled her along and out of the infirmary.

I had to admit, it felt good to have gotten out of the castle. Feeling the cold, icy wind against my face made me feel alive again.

I took a deep breath and shuddered as the cold air went down my throat. I chuckled and realized that Alyx was already making her way to the trees, hopping through the snow, looking at me every now and then and earning a smile.